Advice Please: MA B5AV or CA SX60, 70 & 50?

custard70

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A long shot I know. I’m looking to get a 2nd hand speaker set up for around £500 to listen to music, TV etc. The room will be roughly 30sqm in the garden and will be built from new to house the system! Any strong views on what is better between Mission Audio B5 AV or building my own set from Cambridge Audios SX 60, 70 and 50s plus a sub yet to be decided upon? Will be using a Denon 2300

thanks

I assume you mean this package?

I don´t think the cheap CA SX range is as good as the B5 system. MAs have just good amount of top end sparkle without never getting harsh/tiring and with forward sound which is quite perfect for movies as you can see from the reviews and the popularity of these models over the years. If you do go with MA make sure you buy the system without subwoofer. You can also choose the Bronze 6 mains as you have larger room if you can find them.

Subwoofer for 30sqm room i would consider either new BK P12-PR or BK Monolith if you are tight on budget (~500£). If looking 2nd hand sub then BK Monolith / Monolith Plus for sure.

Last edited:
I assume you mean this package?

I don´t think the cheap CA SX range is as good as the B5 system. MAs have just good amount of top end sparkle without never getting harsh and forward sound which is quite perfect for movies as you can see from the reviews and the popularity of these models over the years. If you do go with MA make sure you buy the system without subwoofer. You can also choose the Bronze 6 mains as you have larger room if you can find them.

Subwoofer for 30sqm room i would consider either new BK P12-PR or BK Monolith if you are tight on budget (~500£). If looking 2nd hand sub then BK Monolith / Monolith Plus for sure.
Many thanks. It would have been the b5 system which was discontinued in 2010 I think. Is there a better 2nd hand set up/build which I could get for £500 or how much do I need to spend to get the best value for money say below £800 with sub?
Cheers

Many thanks. It would have been the b5 system which was discontinued in 2010 I think. Is there a better 2nd hand set up/build which I could get for £500 or how much do I need to spend to get the best value for money say below £800 with sub?
Cheers

Of course there are better speakers buying 2nd hand some older higher ranges so it`s not something that can be answered easily. If you have owner living close to you, contact him and ask him that you can go listen to get some type of idea are they your liking. As an ex-owner it would be hard to imagine that you wouldn´t enjoy them.

Buying subwoofer i feel is more riskier 2nd hand as there is no warranty for amp so it can die any day and the repairing may cost more than you want. So with that in mind at least try to stick with certain well known brands that are specialized in making subwoofers. No need to buy same brand as speakers! SVS is one of the biggest manufacturers, BK Electronics is UK company that builds their products fully in UK, Essex and they have great support / cheap repair for older products too.

If you are more serious about movies then something like this can make dramatic difference, earthquake in living room with action/scifi/horror type flicks!

For 300£ you are quite limited when it comes to new one. I would at least try to save up to 400£ for BK P12 model which for me would be absolute minium for the room you have. This has been forum favourite quite long. There is 3 reviews on BK site if you aren`t familiar with this one.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom