Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Advice please... LCD or DLP...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by djsky, Jun 25, 2005.

1. djsky

djsky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, right I was just about to buy a DLP projector, until i tried one out at home... Tried the Eiki EIP3500 projector and was told by the supplier that the rainbow effect had been improved on this model... unfortunately I still noticed it and was put off. Has this projector got the new XD3 technology or archmedes wheel that people go on about?

anyway, I need your advice.

I want a projector that will give me a 2m image for home cinema use, and i'm very fussy on image quality and the rainbow effect and darkness issue.

I have around 3,000 UKPounds to spend, but would like it if someone could recommend something well below this if something is available.

Thanks in advance.

Ian.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    The "which projector?" question is probably the most impossible to answer as there are many more variables to consider than DLP/LCD.
    i.e. can you control ambient light? Do you see DLP rainbows? Is black level important or is picture detail? Are you bothered by fan noise? How big an image do you want to project? To what and how will you be connecting it?

Everybody has a different set of requirements, so what is one man's meat is another man's poison.

Based on what you've said so far, my opinion (an it is just an opnion), is that your budget isn't quite large enough to buy a decent enough DLP unit that minimises the rainbow effect. As you've noticed them on cheaper units, this is obviously something to consider.
    However your budget is large enough to consider what is generally conisdered the pinnacle of LCD technology at the moment, a Sony HS50. The bonus being that is is roughly half your budget.

3. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contrast and lumens where not at home cinema level on that one. I also didnt find if it had 5x color wheel atleast? :)

Looking uk prices seems £3000 is problem. 3500 inc vat it seems will get you top of the line package these days (projector+screen+mount) :) 1000 lumens, 3800:1 contrast DLP optoma H78.

specs: http://www.themescene.tv/ts/datasheet_frontprojection.asp?SKU=630501&AW=43

About half that will get you sony lcd.. add to that screen+mount.

4. djsky

djsky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What is the rainbow effect like on these projectors, the optoma and the sony? is it much improved with the Ti HD3 chip? and how much more do i need to spend for one that is improved?

5. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    The Sony HS50 is LCD, so no rainbows. Pictures of a unit on my website :)

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    As jriihi has pointed out, the pj in question isn't optomised for home cinema so is more likely going to be prone to rainbows. Try an Optoma H30a or 78 and see if either of those give you rainbows. Both give a good picture but the 78 is over your budget.

If you see rainbows then LCD is probably your best choice.

Gary.