Advice please - HD install due today!

Dan Mac

Standard Member
My Dad is getting HD installed today so I thought I'd check with the knowledgable folk on here to see if i need to alert him to anything he should ask the installer.

I'm thinking about things like software updates, links with the pioneer plasma he's got (506xde) and in general anything he should be aware of. Anyone got any advice?

JUS

Software updates you don't need to worry about. Sky send those down at night. You can also force them to happen.

He needs to connect via component. NOT HDMI...due to there being a prob with using HDMI with SKYHD and Pioneer. See other threads....I don't think they've come up with a fix but I could be wrong. Component only carries video not sound...I'm guessing your dad has a amp/receiver if he has that tv so he can connect straight from skyHD box to AMP....but you may want to also connect via phone for sound out of the TV? I don't have speakers on my panel so not a problem.

Has he got sky already? If not he'll need to consider where the dish and cables are going. The installers do refuse certain situations and it does depend on the installer you get...e.g.

. For Dish If it's high or hard to access area they may refuse! So think of alternative locations if you can't easily get to the first.

. If you want the ariel leads coming in the house close to pipes or existing wires they may refuse..

The phone cable needs to be quite close. It's worth him thinking where he wants it to run rather than the installer going for the easiest and not necessarily nicest location.

Dan Mac

Standard Member
JUS said:
Software updates you don't need to worry about. Sky send those down at night. You can also force them to happen.
Ok that's easy.

JUS said:
He needs to connect via component. NOT HDMI...due to there being a prob with using HDMI with SKYHD and Pioneer. See other threads....I don't think they've come up with a fix but I could be wrong. Component only carries video not sound...I'm guessing your dad has a amp/receiver if he has that tv so he can connect straight from skyHD box to AMP....but you may want to also connect via phone for sound out of the TV? I don't have speakers on my panel so not a problem.
Not sure if he's got any component leads yet. And he's definitely not got an amp. Will look into this problem when i get chance.

JUS said:
Has he got sky already?
Yes, so this lot's already sorted.

kevmarshall

Novice Member
"Not sure if he's got any component leads yet. And he's definitely not got an amp. Will look into this problem when i get chance."

Sky should supply component lead. Not sure how good it will be but will do for now anyway.

Dan Mac

Standard Member
kevmarshall said:
"Not sure if he's got any component leads yet. And he's definitely not got an amp. Will look into this problem when i get chance."

Sky should supply component lead. Not sure how good it will be but will do for now anyway.
Is this official policy due to the problem with hdmi and pioneer tellys? If it is I'll tell my Dad to get free lead from installer.

Destyn

Standard Member
Just as a side point, I have a Pio (436FDE) and have had no issues so far with the HDMI port being used