1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please for what's best for me

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Artie Fufkin, May 24, 2005.

1. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I would greatly appreciate some direction regarding what plasma would best fit my needs/existing equipment.

I am looking to replace my CRTRPTV with a wall-mounted plasma and have a budget of £2000 tops.

42" screen is a must, as are integrated speakers [ I do have a 5.1 set up, but we don't need that in the morning for Cartoon Network and GMTV do we?]

My existing equipment is:
    Freeview box with RGB scart
    Tosh XS32 DVDR with RGB scart / component
    Video recorder with scart [yes, and it's not going!]
    Sony STRDB 940 amp [no throughput for video]

I don't think I am interested in HD capability, or superior DVD performance over a poor freeview picture. I would like something which performs as well with both if possible.

And I guess the way my equipment gets connected to the plasma is dependent on what connecting options are available on the model I chose.

I realise the answer to this will likely be here on the forum already, but after a couple of weeks reading I'm confused - please can someone give me a simple shortlist to consider. :)

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    Panny PE50 is the favourite at the moment - good price with wall mount.

If you can stretch a bit further you can get a hi-res HD ready screen (PV500) for £2200, but the price should come down in the next few months if you can wait.

PV500 - http://www.buyyourav.com/product_details.asp?prodID=1599
    PE50 - http://www.buyyourav.com/product_details.asp?prodID=1519

These are the lastest screens at the moment - but there are other options availabe, the best thing to do is get a proper demo somewhere, but that is easier said than done.

3. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Thanks, and what about this screen.

I have seen very little mention of JVC in this forum - is this 'cos they're not popular, or they just give good service and don't warrant comment?

4. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for heavens sake my friend, get the HD ready PV500 for only 200 pounds extra!! Dont let High Definiton pass you by as you wil regret it in one year's time.

The SD JVC i have seen it and its OK - but the Panny kills it dead.

dil

5. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    Well said, most shops are starting to get them in now, and some have HD feeds to show you how good they are.

6. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Thanks dilsher, you could be right - I know you're a fan of the HD, but it seems there are a good few posters here who don't see the need for it at the moment.
    I kinda agree with them. I don't have Sky, don't play video games and wouldn't be buying a HD DVD for years so why would I benefit [or have I missed something?]

7. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    It should make SD sources look slightly better aswell.
    But if don't want the extra inputs, are not going to be buying a HD DVD player, Blue Ray DVD player, Playstation 3 or XBox 360 in the near future, have no use for the SD/PC slots, and don't want the much improved sound system on the PV500 then you may as well save a few hundred quid and get the PE50.

8. -kreep

-kreep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the Hitachi 42PD7200 or 7500?

They seem pretty sweet to me and do compare well to the Pannies!

...also they're HDtv Ready. :thumbsup:

I know you're saying you don't need HD ready but believe me, it's better to have it and not need it.

What'll happen is: One Saturday afternoon you'll be wandering around your local Curry/Dixons or summit and you'll see a TV displaying Hi-Def. "Blinking flip!" you will declare. "I wish my TV looked like that!" :eek:

"What kind of picture is that Mr Dixons?" You'll ask and he will reply: "Hang on, i'll get the manager". The manager will come and say: "that good sir is a nice one... err it's Hi... Devinigon...Delf...Def... Def!-Definition sir! do you want to buy a 5 year warranty sir? and then maybe the TV to go with it?"

Or something like that anyway. My point being is once you have seen HDtv you will want it! What's £200 now, when in 1-2years it could save you another £2000?? :clap:

9. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Very good... :rotfl: And damn all you PV500 fans - you're right aren't you. But you're costing me money now. Ah well, I see another bank job coming up. :devil:

10. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Mind you, I could save around £800! if I were to go for a PW7/PWD7. That's a lot of money.

Aaaarrggghhhh, this is messing with my mind.

11. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes... and guess what??? A PHD7 with say, a Lumagen DVI scaler, will blow the 500 out of the water - and it'll be HD too...!

Ermm..more choices for you. Isn't choice a wunnerful thing huh?

Oh i dont own a panny - Fuji all the way for me btw. :D and that wil cost you a lot lot more... :devil: