Advice please for air show photos.

WarHog

Some great photos of air shows on these boards.

As im a beginner with DSLRs, any advice on how to take photos of planes in flight would be appreciated as im off to Waddington Air Show on 3rd July.

Ill be taking my D5000 with 18/55 & 70/300 lenses. Should I take my tripod also?

Should I track the plane, then take the photo for background blurr. Or hold the camera still and wait for it to enter my viewfinder?

Any tips would be extremely welcome:smashin:

**Mods, perhaps I should have put this in the general Digital Photography section?**

Last edited:

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Use your short lens for the static planes and the 70-300 for those in flight. Most important point for me is to pick a good vantage point and try to avoid shooting into the sun. Take plenty of memory cards so you can take loads of shots. Tracking the planes, especially the prop jobs and keeping yuor shutter speed low enough to capture the blur of the props and any background scenery is the way to go. Slower shutter speeds and a decent depth of field is also important to capture any formation flying with all the planes in focus.

Good luck.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
If anyone's going to the margate airshow I have THE perfect vantage point!!!

A chaffinch nest? :laugh:

Pity you did not give a bit of notice I may well have taken you up on the offer.

WarHog

Use your short lens for the static planes and the 70-300 for those in flight. Most important point for me is to pick a good vantage point and try to avoid shooting into the sun. Take plenty of memory cards so you can take loads of shots. Tracking the planes, especially the prop jobs and keeping yuor shutter speed low enough to capture the blur of the props and any background scenery is the way to go. Slower shutter speeds and a decent depth of field is also important to capture any formation flying with all the planes in focus.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom