Advice please for a complete novice!

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by s7uart, Jun 1, 2008.

1. s7uart

s7uart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am building a a new house and would like to have some Audio streaming in several rooms of the house. I quite like the look of the Squeeze Box Duet and would purchase some additional receivers for other rooms. I would like to use in-ceiling speakers rather than a hi-fi system but dont know where to start with this as i've seen so many different setups and i'm confused by the terminalogy most of the time.

What do I actually need to buy to get things working from scratch with least hassle and expense? (amps, pre-amps, passive/active speakers??) I will be running it from a NAS wired up with some CAT5 or CAT7 (due to poor wireless signal)

I thought I could just buy the SB Duet and attach them via speaker wire to some powered speakers and it would work.... is this the case?

really sorry for some stupid questions

Stuart

2. s7uart

s7uart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry just noticed this should be in the Audio Electronics->Streamers & Network Music Players forum...

Admin can you please move this?

3. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,612
    Yep :D moved. :smashin:

4. doubledrop

doubledrop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i've recently done something similar and it works well for my house: Duet in-lounge feeding Rega Brio amp for kitchen, pre-out of this into another Rega Brio that feeds the bathroom, pre-out of this into Denon AVR3805 that feeds the 5.1 in lounge.

that lot gives me option of three zones fed from one Duet, all separate on/off and independent volumes. sweet.

i'm running wi-fi from a basic BT free hub with no issues, but cat5 would obviously work even easier for you.

my kitchen and bathroom are both in-ceiling speakers as you've mentioned, not hi-fi but good enough for listening in bath/cooking, and nicer than having boxes intruding in those rooms. you'll need to be able to take floorboards up from above so you can route the wire to amp, so best done before decorating!

so you can achieve that installation with one Duet, if you want different music in each zone then that would need more receivers which i think are £100 each if you stick with the one handset.

i'm new to streaming, Duet was my first product, and i can honestly say i love it and would recommend it highly to anyone with some basic computing skills. i was gonna blow £1k on nice badge CDP next year but now i'm gonna invest it in SB+ instead. don't think i'll ever buy a disc spinner again.

one thing... make sure you back-up your music! i've got over 800 albums ripped lossless which takes nearly 300gb, which for a new F/W drive you could do easily for less than £100. but it took ages to rip and get all the art, and drives can die with no warning, so make sure you clone your music folder onto another network attached drive. no need for the expense of NAS technology, just buy USB or FW external drives, work just as well.

good luck.:thumbsup:

5. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    >I thought I could just buy the SB Duet and attach them via speaker wire to some powered speakers and it would work.... is this the case?<

Not speaker-wire, you'd need the usual line-level interconnects.

Depending on your budget, have a look at Sonos kit or the Arcam 250 music server which has 4-zone capability.

6. s7uart

s7uart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so I can do this wthout an amp if the speakers are powered separately and I use the correct wiring? Really dont want the expense of buying an amp for each room in the house or buying one huge amp to run it all

I looked at the Sonos but its starting to head out of my price range.

7. s7uart

s7uart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully going to stream some movies aswell around the house so like the idea of using one NAS for music, movies and pcitures

btw love the sound of what you've done but too many amps for me!... too much of a cheapskate to buy all the equipment at the same time!

8. doubledrop

doubledrop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    some interesting pictures for you here of Duet's that people are using just like you want, with powered speakers only, add a phono lead and you're good to go!:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43498&page=2

my amps were super-cheap, 2nd hand Rega's £150 for the pair. more than enough for my in-ceilings.

9. s7uart

s7uart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant thats exactly what i was looking for... many thanks Double Drop