Question Advice Please For A Apple Virgin

MrRobot

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a 12" or there a bouts laptop for use downstairs with the ability to plug USB drives in and shuffle files around on my network, i was originally looking at a Lenovo Helix and X1 tablet then got to thinking this would be the ideal opportunity to dip my toe into a MacBook, i believe i can use Boot camp to run Windows in order to do the above but what i would like to know is what would be oldest model i should be considering as i don't want to spend a fortune especially if i am not going to get on with it, so any advice would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
If all you plan on doing is using a Mac to manage USB drives, then it’s an expensive overkill. Macs can read Windows drives so Bootcamp isn’t really necessary. It might be worth popping-in to your nearest Apple store for a chat, or via an online session.

Clem

MrRobot

If all you plan on doing is using a Mac to manage USB drives, then it’s an expensive overkill. Macs can read Windows drives so Bootcamp isn’t really necessary. It might be worth popping-in to your nearest Apple store for a chat, or via an online session.

Clem
Thanks Clem_Dye,

That was just one of the tasks i was looking to perform but it would be copying files to and from the drives over the network from my other Windows devices and this is the reason why i am asking what would be the oldest model to look at as i am looking to buy second hand plus it is to experience Mac OS.

MacrosTheBlack

Hey all. Well I wouldn’t recommend anything older than the 2012 range of MacBooks. They do hold their value second hand though. So just beware you’d get a lot more bang for your buck on a Windows laptop.

However if you’re keen to try macOS then you can definitely manage your files straight from macOS. No need to boot camp (though of course that’s an option if you need windows on it, or you can use Parallels/VMware Fusion to run a windows virtual machine on top of macOS. I use Fusion myself for my day job work related Windows needs).

If you work with windows NTFS a lot, then I’d recommend a copy of Paragon’s NTFS for Mac. As natively the macOS will read an NTFS partition and files. But not write to NTFS.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

MrRobot

Hey all. Well I wouldn’t recommend anything older than the 2012 range of MacBooks. They do hold their value second hand though. So just beware you’d get a lot more bang for your buck on a Windows laptop.

However if you’re keen to try macOS then you can definitely manage your files straight from macOS. No need to boot camp (though of course that’s an option if you need windows on it, or you can use Parallels/VMware Fusion to run a windows virtual machine on top of macOS. I use Fusion myself for my day job work related Windows needs).

If you work with windows NTFS a lot, then I’d recommend a copy of Paragon’s NTFS for Mac. As natively the macOS will read an NTFS partition and files. But not write to NTFS.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input,

is there anything in particular which i should look out for and avoid in the second hand circuit.

MacrosTheBlack

Thanks for the input,

is there anything in particular which i should look out for and avoid in the second hand circuit.
Nothing to avoid. But depend on how much you want to speed. I’d personally say get a MacBook Pro Retina 13” or 15” these will all have built in SSD. Just remember to get the ram you need. As non-upgradable.

MrRobot

Nothing to avoid. But depend on how much you want to speed. I’d personally say get a MacBook Pro Retina 13” or 15” these will all have built in SSD. Just remember to get the ram you need. As non-upgradable.

Many thanks, just been looking through eBay at the hundreds on offer :confused: may be worth a lok on here.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom