• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Advice please, changing speaker set up without blowing the amp, parralel or series

numnuts

Standard Member
Hi all! I have a Yamaha av receiver 7.1 set up, I have a Mordaunt Short sound bar for the front center left and right, with 4 Boston Acoustics SoundWare satellite speakers for middle left, middle right, rear left and rear right.

Here's what I do, I just bought another 2 Boston satellite speakers to use as front left and front right to place at the sides of the TV, about 600mm away, I want to make the 3 speakers in the sound bar act as 1 front middle.

The question, do I wire it in series or parralel?

Thanks in advance

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you're amp has the ability to switch "front high speakers on" then that would be the simplest option.

You may also find the the sixth and seventh channel can be used for bi-amping, again another way of using the rear rear surrounds for an extra pair of fronts.

Just be very careful to ensure that your positives/negatives and left/rights are inputted into the amp and speakers correctly.

Regards, Shane.

numnuts

Standard Member
Thanks Shane, I do have an option of front high speakers but I used the ports to create a 2nd zone for the garden so I need to make the 3 speakers in the sound bar into 1 speaker, should I connect in parralel or series, I would like the optimum set up without damaging the amp.
Cheers

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Just use the central speakers and ignore the left and right. The difference in level won't be huge and you will improve the sound stage and avoid combing and phase issues caused by the spacing between the drivers.

There really is little to gain by trying to run all 7 speakers just to carry the dialogue track.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I agree, if your amplifier hasn't ability because you are already using the other outputs as 2nd zone, then looking at using the front centre only together with what would have been your front high's as your natural fronts.

I'm guessing you are not to impressed with the sound with you wishing to carry this out, simply try what has been mentioned above and if its worse, then you know its a simple option to revert back to your original setup without any extra cost implication.

The option would be to look at the soundbar you already own and maybe its time to split them to a dedicated F/C/L setup

Regards, Shane.

numnuts

Standard Member
Thanks Shane and Noiseboy, I'm happy with the sound I just thought that by making the front right & left further from the center it would improve the surround experience.
It seems a waste to not use the left and right on the sound bar but if it won't make a difference there's no point.
Cheers

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You are correct that the sound would be better with a little more space between them, however, if the speakers are below par on performance, you may end up reducing the overall audio experience.

Also note that if you was to use the soundbar's FL & FR together with a High-FL and High-FR, you would not really create a wider separation required for stereo, although you would create height and something else which may or may not sound just right.

Regards, Shane

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom