advice please can I install XP on another hard drive ?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jamieuk23, Mar 15, 2006.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi I have orderd a new PC which is not comming with a OS or hard drive as I wanted to cut down on cost as I was all ready well of my buget.

any way my new PC which I will be using in my front room as a home cinema PC wont eb here for another 3 days, but as I have the next few days off work I was wondering if its possible to setup windows Xp on a spare hard drive that I have so that when my new PC comes I can just put the new hard drive in and it will be all setup with XP.

is it possible for me to take 1 of my hard drives out of my PC I am using at the minute >>> attach the hard drive that I want to use with my new PC >>>> format and install windows XP on it + all software I will want >>>>> and then it will be just a case of attaching it to my new PC and "Boba ya uncle" ???

:thumbsup:

2. 99Flake

99Flake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't recommend it, if you do that then all your hardware settings from the machine you install XP on will be loaded, i.e motherboard drivers, sound etc etc. XP is very very funny about motherboard drivers. Even if you just replace a motherboard on an existing install on your main computer it will often give a blue screen of death as it tries to load windows. This is because your chipset drivers have changed and do not match the hardware the OS is expecting. At this point it seems to think you have a virus. It doesn't always happen but is common and the only way round it is to re-install Windows - back to square one and you may as well have waited!

You can try doing it, as I have successfully done it a couple of times, by unistalling ALL of your hardware before taking the drive out prior to putting into the new machine. It doesn't always work however and personally I think a fresh install on the new machine will be far more reliable, you won't have any hangovers from your other system to interfere.

3. dynamitetony

dynamitetony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    like flake says, i would wait and install in on your new pc.

4. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi thanks for advice !! seems like its a bit more complercated than I thought.. I will wait till my new PC comes and start a fresh.

as I have a new PC comming and nothing will be setup on it would apreciate if any one could tell me how I go about setting it all up, as I will have to install the motherobard drivers etc wont I ???

in what order will I go about setting up y system ???

1 ?

2 ?

3 ?

etc

5. 99Flake

99Flake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put the machine together as a bare spec, just the mainboard and graphics card, if you have any other cards do not put them in yet.

1. Install all the motherboard drivers from the CD
    1a. If your machine has onboard lan connect it to the internet and get the latest drivers for all of your hardware.* Re-install motherboard drivers using new ones.

2. Install VGA card using the drivers you previously downloaded.

3. One by one install each card. Do not out them all in at the same time, this way if a problem occurs you can narrow it down to the last installed piece of hardware.

*If you are using a wireless internet you will need to install the card when you build the machine in order to get the net. Do this using the driver CD's and again get updated ones as soon as possible.

4. Install all your aps!

You may want to do some drive partitioning before installing windows, this is done during the setup. Also if you are using RAID you need to install the drivers before windows. It will ask you (at the bottom of the screen) to press an F key to do this, I think it is F6. So look out for it. Also it will only accept a floppy so you will need to use another machine to copy these drivers from CD to floppy before you start your windows install.

Any other questions just ask.

6. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just so I can be a bit clear on whats a head of me.

when I first attach my new hard drive to my PC will my PC boot straight to the bios ??? (were you can ajust fan speed etc)

and what do I need to select from there ????

thanks 99flake !!

7. 99Flake

99Flake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It won't automatically go into the bios, it will do one of two things

1. Will autodetect everything and start to boot off of the hard drive. Upon finding no boot sector or OS it will throw a paddy and say 'non system disk. Please replace and press enter'.

2. Will halt and say please press F1/Del or whatever to enter setup.

What you need to do in either case is go into the setup. In the 1st scenario all you will need to do is configure your CD drive to be the 1st boot device. This is because XP is a bootable CD and that is how you want to boot in order to start the installation procedure. In the 2nd scenario you may need to set a few things up (I doubt it but you may do) in most cases all you need to do is go to save and exit and it will do the same as the 1st scenario. Again you will need to set the CD drive to be the first boot device.

Once the CD drive is set to boot the XP cd will spin up and enter setup (you will need to watch the screen as it will ask you to press any key to boot from CD). From that point most things are automated or very self explanetary. All you need do is look out for RAID installation as I mentioned in my previous post (if that is what you are going to use).