Advice please: Bitstream output needed to Onkyo 875

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by cashlessbond, Jan 30, 2009.

1. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi, I want to upgrade my HTPC so that I can play Bluray/HDDVD.

I intend to change the motherboard and CPU and also increase the RAM. And of course I will upgrade to a Bluray/HDDVD.

I would like to be able to hook the HTPC up to my Onkyo 875 via HDMI and have the Onk do the decoding.

I know in order to achieve this I need the HTPC to output the audio as Bitstream via the HDMI socket to the Receiver.

My questions are;

1.How do I go about it? and what's the most cost effective method available to me?

2. Will I be able to play Region A Blurays as well as Region B's?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    There isn't really any point at the moment. The thing about bitsteaming HD audio is that there is lots of DRM involved and there is only one solution on the market (Asus Xonar HDMI) but it has several flaws and at £150 I do not think is worth the outlay. There are however many more options to output 8 channel LPCM over HDMI which work better. In theory decoding the HD audio in the PC and then outputting as LPCM should be identical to outputting a bitstream and decoding on the amp. I know there are a few issues with re-sampling and the like but as most soundtracks are only 16bit 48Khz anyway this should not be a problem in the real world.

I have been suprised just how many BD are not actually region coded at all. (Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia gives some idea of what studios have bothered). But you can play ANY BD just on your HTPC just as you would play ANY DVD;)

3. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    :D:D

4. anth.payne

anth.payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    ASUS M3N78-EM
    ASUS P5N7A-VM

These both support Dolby and LPCM over HDMI.