1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice please best way to connect

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by cheekielassie, Jul 25, 2004.

1. cheekielassie

cheekielassie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya, i don't feel i'm getting the best performance from my system and feel maybe not connected the best poss way. I would appreciate some advice on best way to connect, my set up consists of...
    sanyo tv ce28wp4-b
    sanyo video vhr-m290e
    sanyo dvd 1500
    sky+
    pioneer av multi-channel rx vsx-c100
    bush pro400 dolby digital speaker kit
    I use an optiical cable for my sky+ and dvd through the amp but feel i'm not getting the best sound output and believe it's down to connections.
    I would be most grateful for any advice

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    are you using Scart from every video source to TV?

3. cheekielassie

cheekielassie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm using scart from tv scart on sky+ to av1 on tv and av2 on tv to dvd.
    optical cable from sky+ to amp and dvd to amp video is coax. do not gget the amp through terr tv i''m pretty sure the set up is wrong and can't think how to set up again from scratch.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you aren't happy with the sound from your system I don't think it's down to connections as you have set it all up exactly as I would if I had the same kit.

I assume that you have Sky Plus outputting RGB into AV1 on your TV and the DVD player outputting s-video into AV2. I think that only AV1 on your TV is enabled for RGB and I would try connecting the two sources up the other way round just to see if the pictures are improved at all.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    need analogue audio out from TV to amp for TV through amp

6. cheekielassie

cheekielassie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice guys much appreciated and i'll connect the audio out on tv to amp only reason i didn't connect b4 as audio out on tv is at the front of the set.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Front sockets are normally for temporary input only as in connection up a games console or camcorder.

Connecting up the audio outputs to an amp doesn't always work satisfactorily as some televisions (mine for example) seem to distort the signal. I always prefer a direct signal path anyway and source to amp will always produce a better signal that when routed via more complicated electronics in a television. The only advantage in doing it that way is so that you can watch terrestrial television via your amp whilst the video is recording something from Sky

8. cheekielassie

cheekielassie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks ian for the advice i've decided not to bother connecting amp to tv, i never use the video as i use sky+ if i want to record something only time i would use terr channels is if i was recording 2 progs at same time and i can persevere with that. Again thanks to everyone who gave me advice.