Advice Please Best Internal BluRay Writer to Buy

TimmyTurbo

Novice Member
Hi All,

Can anybody recomend a good internal BluRay writer, the last time i looked into these they were a small fortune and the LG was the one to go for, is this still the case.

I will be fitting this into my i5 system running Windows 7 64Bit with a few SATA channels free, idealy looking to spend no more than £200.

Any recommendations and advice will be much apreciated :thumbsup:

TT.

Jeroen1000

May I be so curious to ask what its intended goal is. If it is for (non-movie) backups, stay away from it lol:).

I would suggest googling it mate. If it were a DVD-writer I'd say "pick any they are almost all the same" but as for blu-ray, I'm not sure.

edit: darn, these things are *still* expensive. You should be able to stay well under £200 though:)

Last edited:

TimmyTurbo

Novice Member
May I be so curious to ask what its intended goal is. If it is for (non-movie) backups, stay away from it lol:).

I would suggest googling it mate. If it were a DVD-writer I'd say "pick any they are almost all the same" but as for blu-ray, I'm not sure.

edit: darn, these things are *still* expensive. You should be able to stay well under £200 though:)
It is for video work mainly, there does not apear to be that many to choose from with LG having the best price, a far cry from 12mths ago :)

Jeroen1000

Check out this drive
Plextor PX-B940SA.

Plextor has/had a good name when it comes to optical drives. They don't manyfacture the drive themselves any longer but this one comes high spec'ed.(if spec's ever mean anything). Buyer beware, it has a nifty price tag:)

Here are some reviews for it

BCCHardware - Your Daily Tech News & Reviews - Plextor PX-B940SA 12x Blu-ray Disc Writer

edit: additional review: http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/plextor-px-b940sa-12x-blu-ray-disc-writer.html

Plextor PX-B940SA Optical Drive Review - PCWorld

Personally, the inability for not being able to set the booktype would kind of bother me...

Last edited:

greeny2k9

Standard Member
Just received my Plextor PX-B940SA after looking at various brands. Rather expensive as compare to others. The only thing I don't like is the Plexiutilities which cannot detect this drive. Helpdesk at Plextor sucks big time.

My OS is Win7 Professional x64 and no problem in running this drive.

Jeroen1000

Once upon a time, Plextor had ace support. Then again, that was when they made the drives themselves. Sad to hear this really.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom