1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please B&W N802

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ukfatboy, Jun 28, 2004.

1. ukfatboy

ukfatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Currently thinking of upgrading and went and auditioned B&W 802's over weekend . I currently have htm1 .

To cut a long story short , I want them and then got taking to dealer about the deal !

best offer I could get out of him was :-

His demo 802's
    his demo Tag Mclaren 500r
    15 metres silver biwire
    some interconnects
    delivery

For £6920

I already have a Tag 500r ( 5 channel power amp 100w ) so with the second one I could bi amp the front 3 speakers.

My heart is saying go for it , the banker in me says that its not a good enough deal. The 802's new are six grand and the tag 2700.

What does everybody think ?

2. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    What exactly were you expecting? I'd rip his arm off for that price.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
  4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    How much would the Tag be worth nowadays ? £1000 ? £1200 ? Either way a lot less than it would have been a year or two ago.

With that in mind and ignoring the cables hes expecting you to pay £6k of thereabouts for the 802's. Thats list for a new set !! I know that deals on Nautilus series are hard to get but there is no way I would call what hes offered you "a good deal".

I would also consider the fact that the 500r will be a bit out of its league with the 802's. Better amplification should give you a lot better sound.

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    And given the unconfirmed rumours of the 800 series replacment being announced over the next few months (maybe why he's offloading?) the deal hes offered you is pretty crud.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Tag 5x100R amplifer may have have problems with 802s. Of all the various 5- and 7-channel amps I listened to in that price bracket I liked the Tag 5x100R the least by quite a long way. You'd be better off with something like an Arcam P7, or preferably something higher-end.

By all accounts Nautilus 802s are extremely difficult to drive to their full potential. I would definitely urge you to go with something a bit beefier if you possibly can - something like a Bryston 4B-SST is about where you should be aiming (IMO).

7. ukfatboy

ukfatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback guys ! Interesting that its a split.

I agree with the comments re the tag amp. The one I've got cost me £1000 and around this price is the going rate. For the price I think its a bit of a bargain but I accept that th 802's are going to need something serious in the long run.

They affered 10% of 802's straight off ie 600 off to 5600 and the rest sort of merged into deal.

What concerns me is that on Mountain smow website there is a apir of 801's ex demo from 8500 to 6000 and on doug brady web site 803's from 3500 to 2500 which suggests to me that the I'm not getting a good enough deal on the 802's

This is the first I've heard that the 800 line is going to be replaced ! can anybody expand or point me in the right direction ?

thanks

8. ukfatboy

ukfatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, update folks,

been to see the dealer this lunch time and got a better offer ! Current offer is for £6200 all in which seems to equate to list price for 802's + dicounted cables + free 500r tag power amp.

Its getting closer don't you think ?

9. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Who is this dealer? He must be desperate to move on this stuff.

10. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    It's not desperation - his improved offer is indicative of how crap the original deal was !

Given that the Tag isnt really suitable for me, it would still be a no go deal.

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I have been checking around on deals on Nautilus speakers as am planning to sell my M&K S150's - called a couple of dealers and theres not much in the way of discount !

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    B&W have always frowned on discounts,and the only way of getting anything like it seems to be reduced dealer margins on items sold together with the speakers(such as that amp for instance).

I'd also have to echo NicB's commenst re the amp....when I was auditioning the N805's I have now,I tried them first with a 5x100W Tag in the dealer's very nice showroom,and was somewhat surprised to find the thing roughening up and losing control very rapidly...luckily i knew what was going on,having heard a set of Linn amps struggle with my last set of speakers,and substituted my Krells,and bought the N805s.

All of these things are current hungry,with a very low impedance swing in the low bass region....get something suitably grunty like a Bryston,Chord or Krell(there are others,of course,but these are especially good).

I do understand that the newer Tags are better,but that one really wouldnt be my choice.

13. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    At the threat of setting the thread off on an entirely different tangent, B&W frown on discounting the Nautilus range ultimately because they want the people who spend their money on this high end range to get the back up and service from the dealer that they deserve. It doesn't take a genius to work out that from a business point of view you can't give discount and provide service. Also, how would you feel if you have lugged a pair of 802's to somebody's house for a home dem and then for the customer to not appreciate the service by asking for discount? Those things aren't light!

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    And lugging the 802's around must be a 2-3 man job !!

15. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You'll notice that I made no comment regarding the why's and wherefore's of a non-discount policy.
    Good service and backup are only to be expected with relatively high-end goods,and I would have to say that in my experience the only person doing the lugging for home demos is usually the customer(IMHO!).

My point remains,however,that a number of(B&W included) dealers will include other items or bump-up trade-ins as a way round this....a number of Linn dealers have similar systems in place.

16. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    By the way I demod the 803's as well as the 804's recently and surprisingly I found the 804's to be better producing a leaner bass but overall a more articulate sound. I have auditioned 803's before but not the 804's and was somewhat surprised by my findings. I know people find the 803's to be better (esp Nic B) but in my opinion the 803's are the weak product (for want of a better word) in the nautilus range. Totally unexpected result.

17. bamber

bamber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose it depends on what you are looking for but I found that the 803's had a slightly cleaner midrange than the 804's and a tad more bass. I also liked the 805's which are still one of the best in their price range IMHO.