Advice please: B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition vs Revel Concerta2 MI6

ChorltonWheelie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello AVF, I'm looking for some buying advice and I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a pair of B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition's for £599.
However, I've seen the Revel Concerta2 MI6's going for between £650 and £680 rather than the £999 they were previously (I think they're going end of line).

Would I be wise to stump up the extra cash for the M16's?
They're for a medium terraced living room. Initially they'll be paired with an aging but venerable Cambridge Audio A4 amp but I'm upgrading to something more current soon.
I'm mainly listening to vinyl and streaming Hi-Fi Deezer over aptx-hd.
TIA!

It really is best to listen for yourself if you can... I’m sure you know this though.

However if you can’t, then I’d more seriously consider the Revel, it’s a price class up from the B&W. That doesn’t necessarily mean a great deal, but on average it will.

Also, I’d get a better amp ASAP. The CA was a very good budget amp many years ago, but it’s way out of either speakers league.

You won’t hear either speaker at their best with it.

Ps, having said that, I’d ignore both of those speakers and make an offer for these instead.

Something of a modern legend and a genuine three way speaker.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Certainly worth considering the KEF R300s mentioned above. I don't feel the need to run a sub with my R300s but they do need a good amp to bring out the best in them as they dip to 3.2 ohms. Get it right and you will be rewarded with a very musical presentation that has a fast bass response with detailed mids and highs thanks to the three way design.

The B&W speakers (603 Anniversary) sound nasal in the midrange, bright treble. The bass is particularly deep, but no punch at all.

I really don’t think I well ever buy B&W again.

They just get brighter, shouty it seems.

They won’t get your foot tapping.

The other brand I can comment on.

Try and audition as many speakers as you can.

Perhaps you can find a diamond in the rocks...

Thanks all, I've put an offer in with some open box KEF R300's on ebay.
If that doesn't work out my local AV shop is doing an ex-display Revel Concerta2 MI6 for £635 so I'll grab them.
I'll give the B&W a swerve (unless someone offers them to me at a silly price).

Next up...an integrated amp with aptx hd and decent phono chops!
This was easier when I was skint and just had to get what I could afford ;)

I’d actually go so far as to suggest pinching some cash from the amp budget to get the Kefs if the first offer fails.

Speakers being the most important part of a hifi.

I know you’re not yet ready for your new amp, but when you are this is a bit of a seriously top class beast.

Everything you need, more than enough current for the Kefs and the unassailable pedigree of a Rotel.

Also this one is a bit of a bargain.

For used at a lesser budget, this is also a worthy consideration.

Last edited:
I warn you now... The Revel Concerta2 MI6 are brutally revealing speakers. On nothing short of an ideal amp they will sound awful. I can say this with experience. Stay well clear of them with your current amp..... Unless you are spending a good grand just on the amp... don't even consider this speaker

B&W values with what has been mentioned is very true.. they have lost their sparkle and that midrange suffers terribly as a result.

"Get thee behind me Satan"

I'm eyeing up the Cambridge Audio CXA81.
Not least because my turntable endgame might be the Alva TT (got a great Pro-ject at the moment so there's no rush on that end of the chain).
If there's a better amp option for less then I'm all ears.

Not least because my turntable endgame might be the Alva TT (got a great Pro-ject at the moment so there's no rush on that end of the chain).
lol...

Even the CXA81 will not be suitable for the Revel sadly... you need to be in the territory of the Higher Rega's, Roksan, MF, AudioLab, PS Sprout, Naim, etc for that speaker!

Revel is part of the Harman Luxury Audio Group. This also includes Mark Levinson, Lexicon, JBL, Harman Kardon, AKG and Arcam.

If you’re going to spend that much on an amp without a phono stage, then this would be a much better bet.

First class amplifier and Dirac Live. A massive bargain.

Jings! So an A/B 80-120 watt amp in the £700 to £1000 bracket won't drive them?

So a rethink may be necessary... or a re-question.

What's a decent stand mount speaker (small living room) that will sound as good as possible with an A/B 80-120 watt amp in the £700 to £1000 bracket for between £500 and £1000?

Bear in mind if it's a £1000 job I'll be scouring ebay, open box, return, refurb, fire sales and shady looking lads in pubs until I get it for less than £800.

@ChorltonWheelie sure any amp will drive it.. but .. the problem is with the speaker.. they need a high end amp to keep them under control.. given they are part of an audio group that Arcam is part of.. i think.... @Paul7777x might.. have hit it on the head...

BUT .. i would try and get out and demo first before making any commitment. The biggest issue with the revel.. is it is discontinued.. so finding an audio shop with a pair makes it even harder to recommend it...

The B&W speakers are not that easy to drive properly, but I think the Cambridge amplifier you mentioned we’ll suit them just fine.

The sensitivity is not that difficult for any decent amplifier to drive properly.

Emphasis on amplifier with a strong power supply.

In my opinion any amplifier with a strong power supply around 50-100 watts depending on your taste, room we’ll suit them fine.

Amplifiers like Marantz, Arcam,Lyngdorf etc.

Lyngdorf amplifiers have build in room correction.

I have soft spot for Marantz amplifiers.

Smooth, musical, dynamic sound that you listen to forever.

Still if you are reading if the B&W speakers are not my cup of tea, you need to decide it your self.

You may love the sound.

The Revel speakers as mentioned I don’t know anything about.

Good luck.👍

I've found an Arcam SR250 going for £350!
I get the idea though. If/when I get my R300's I'll have to go big so second hand is the way.
Thanks again.

For second hand the Roksan K3 should drive the Kefs well.

Good shout. It's on sale for £649 at Peter Tyson!

If I buy the Roksan will I need to put on the red light?

Edit: That price was at the bottom of an old WhatHiFi review and seems to be fibs.

Last edited:
The Roksan can be had for around £800 second hand. The SR250 for £350 is almost too good to be true, buyer beware (cash on collection only after a demo would be my advice), these were £2500 when brand new, now available around £1000 (end of line discontinued) and second hand typically go for around £750.

The KEFs will partner a lot of amps. The R300s do like a good power draw but I would stay away from Naim as for some reason the combination can produce a poor bass control. That £350 for the Arcam does sound a bit too good to be true, especially in today's climate where secondary market prices to seem to be heading north, not south.

Come on guys, you’re sounding a bit too much like Englishmen in New York…..
Well it beats receiving a "Letter from America" ... from a pair of Scottish brothers :rotfl:

OK, I'm hammering the second hand sites for KEF R300's and a Roksan K3.
Now I play the waiting game. Wish me luck.

By the way, that Arcam SR250 is on ebay.co.uk for £450. The seller is "going high but is open to offers" as he doesn't know what to ask! The display is dim but if you're ok with a soldering iron you should be ok (he might just be in direct mode if you're lucky). Get in quick if you fancy it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom