Advice please: B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition vs Revel Concerta2 MI6

Helix Hifi

I listened to the 805s on a Cambridge 851a, and it was terrific. The best I’ve heard so far, in my (short) experience.
How are you getting along? Hopefully nice sound. Remember the speakers need some break in, around 30 hours or so.

In the end we’re all different. Some like bright sound, some more neutral/warm sound. May ask which setup you bought? The B&W speakers with which amplifier.

I recommend also using some decent speaker stands. Unfortunately they can be expensive but many stands are very poor reading quality.

The main reason I am not so fond of B&W speakers is the treble, midrange. The midrange sounds very thin, forward at the same time. Making voices, instrumentals not sound, neutral. Bass is descent, still dynamics are overpowering at times.

marcos alvarenga

Standard Member
How are you getting along? Hopefully nice sound. Remember the speakers need some break in, around 30 hours or so.

In the end we’re all different. Some like bright sound, some more neutral/warm sound. May ask which setup you bought? The B&W speakers with which amplifier.

I recommend also using some decent speaker stands. Unfortunately they can be expensive but many stands are very poor reading quality.

The main reason I am not so fond of B&W speakers is the treble, midrange. The midrange sounds very thin, forward at the same time. Making voices, instrumentals not sound, neutral. Bass is descent, still dynamics are overpowering at times.
They are scheduled to arrive this weekend. I’m expecting some break in time before my opinions. I’ve bought 606 S2 anniversary and a Cambridge CXA81.
I admit I am the guy who put the equalizer curve in a “V” shape, so that midrange issue maybe would not be an issue to my taste. Maybe that changes as long as my listening skills develop.
I’m just a novice on the matter. The best quality song I’ve ever listened came from my pair of Bang & Olufsen Beoplay A2 and a Beoplay H6 headphone.
Pictures coming soon!!

Helix Hifi

The CXA81 is getting really great reviews online. if you like the sound from the more expensive B&W range then I think you’ll be fine.

marcos alvarenga

Standard Member

No issues so far. Sounds great, and no “V” shape equaliser feelings, nor even bass lack issues. Besides we are in the break in period.
I need to find its definitive place in my home. Couldn’t find any solution yet.
42CC73C9-30FB-4BB5-829C-105799E2CBF9.jpeg

Costello

Just wait awhile, many recordings we’ll sound too forward in the midrange. Voices thin, no substance in midrange. Bass pretty even. Treble yikes. Bright! :D
The B & W 606 in either first or second series is a very highly regarded speaker; I’ve heard people compare the 607 very favourably to Harbeth monitors. You may not like or enjoy them and that’s fine, but you can’t tell people what they’re hearing or enjoying. Each to their own.

Helix Hifi

The B & W 606 in either first or second series is a very highly regarded speaker; I’ve heard people compare the 607 very favourably to Harbeth monitors. You may not like or enjoy them and that’s fine, but you can’t tell people what they’re hearing or enjoying. Each to their own.
Did I do that? Read the tread again.

rccarguy2

Have to match up b&w with softer amps worked well with Yamaha but not brighther ones.

Helix Hifi

Rather rude, I must say. Bad day?
Rude, far from it. I used the green smiling face when I wrote the reply. I thought everyone would understand I was joking,

Leave it be, move on. If you own the B&W speakers then by all means play some music on them.

marcos alvarenga

Standard Member
As I said before, or in another thread, can’t remember for sure, maybe I am a “v-shaped” listener, I usually adjust things this way, except when listening to classic music.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom