Advice Please AV Amp and Speakers for HD Setup

TimmyTurbo

Hi Everybody :hiya:

Can anybody offer any advice as to which would be the best AV amp and speakers to consider to add to my AV system, i have got a budget of £1000 for both, i am looking to connect my Bluray player, Xbox 360 and V+ box via HDMI with a 5.1 speaker config as i dont think i would get 7.1 in my price range.

I would apreciate and advice and pointers anybody can offer :thumbsup:

TT.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
With your budget I would look to concentrate it on a good 5.1 system. £1000 is actually a funny figure as it sort of falls inbetween two camps. Budget systems can be had for between £400-£700 but then probably need to speand close to £1500 to get a noticable improvement.
For example a good budget system would be the Yamaha 565/765 (£250/£300) with Q accoustics 1010i speakers (£300). To get a noticable improvement over this would need something like the Yamaha 1065 with the Monitor Audio BR2 or BR5 AV speaker set.
an alternative to the 1010 speakers would be the new Q Accoustics 2000 AV pack which is £500. This will be an improvement over the 1010s but not sure it is worth the extra £200. Another way of improving the 1010i package would be to swap the fronts for 1020 or 1030 or even 1050 and then the rears for 1020s.

TimmyTurbo

With your budget I would look to concentrate it on a good 5.1 system. £1000 is actually a funny figure as it sort of falls inbetween two camps. Budget systems can be had for between £400-£700 but then probably need to speand close to £1500 to get a noticable improvement.
For example a good budget system would be the Yamaha 565/765 (£250/£300) with Q accoustics 1010i speakers (£300). To get a noticable improvement over this would need something like the Yamaha 1065 with the Monitor Audio BR2 or BR5 AV speaker set.
an alternative to the 1010 speakers would be the new Q Accoustics 2000 AV pack which is £500. This will be an improvement over the 1010s but not sure it is worth the extra £200. Another way of improving the 1010i package would be to swap the fronts for 1020 or 1030 or even 1050 and then the rears for 1020s.

Thanks for that PSM1 i will take a look :smashin:

TimmyTurbo

Come across a Sony STR-DA3300ES on eBay for £335 collected, is this a worth while purchase or is it old tech now as i noticed it is discontinued on Sonys website, no doubt a newer model out.

TT

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I believe this was replaced by the 3500ES and that can be bought from Richer Sounds for not a lot more than that ebay price. Hence I would say it is a little pricy.

TimmyTurbo

I believe this was replaced by the 3500ES and that can be bought from Richer Sounds for not a lot more than that ebay price. Hence I would say it is a little pricy.

Thought that might be the case, so is it worth consideration at the right price ?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
As long as it does audio over HDMI and/or decodes the HD formats then it would be worth a look at the right price.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
if you're prepared to go over budget a bit, you could get a very good system.

The yamaha 765 is a good amp and is available for £350 (was £450-500)

Also, the Monitor Audio BR2 set is on special promotion at the moment so availabel for £757 --- it's normally £200 more.

The amp and speakers pair well together tonally.

Yamaha RXV765

Monitor Audio BR2AV Speaker Pack

The total come to £1100, a £100 over budget, but if you buy both from the same dealer, you may get a bit off that?

TimmyTurbo

if you're prepared to go over budget a bit, you could get a very good system.

The yamaha 765 is a good amp and is available for £350 (was £450-500)

Also, the Monitor Audio BR2 set is on special promotion at the moment so availabel for £757 --- it's normally £200 more.

The amp and speakers pair well together tonally.

Yamaha RXV765

Monitor Audio BR2AV Speaker Pack

The total come to £1100, a £100 over budget, but if you buy both from the same dealer, you may get a bit off that?

I am sure i can go over budget if it means i will get that improvement in quality, i was actualy looking at the Harman Kardon AVR255 earlier, how do they compare to the Yamaha ?

Tim.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
There was a time when there was a thread about firmware issues on one of the HK amps always near the top of the thread list. That put me off and because of that, I've never considered them. I believe they are warm natured tonally, as are Yamahas. The other warm natured amps to consider are the Denons --- the 1910 is equivalent to the Yamaha 765 and a similar price..

The MA Bronze speakers are bright tonally, which is why they compliment and work well with the warm natured amps such as Yamaha or Denon.

If you do want to 'bust your budget', consider the Yamaha 1065 at £450. The Denon equivalent of that is the 2310, which is around £600.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom