Advice on wireless router for MCE extender..

Paulleahey

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if people could advise me on the absolute best wireless router that money can buy for use with my 360 and Media Center PC

Any comments on this Netgear one?
http://www.netgear.co.uk/rangemaxnext_wirelessbroadbandrouter_dg834n.php

Any help greatly appreciated as my current crappy wireless router has been dying a little every day and is now frequently dropping it's internet connection and more importantly dropping it's connection with the 360's MCE Extender when watching XviD tv episodes!

Paul.

Are you connecting your 360 wirelessly or wired?

If your 360 is wired and your MCE is wifi then look for something that is Designed to draft IEEE 802.11n standard, although you are taking a risk buying something that uses a draft standard you will be able to stream HD content.

If you are connecting your 360 wirelessly then you are bound by the standard implemented on the 360 wireless adapter which I think is g

It is worth pointing out though that since IEEE 802.11n is only draft and will not be published till October 2008 at the earliest you may find that your equipment becomes obsolete next year when the standard is finalised.

Cheers for the replies guys.

smokedog - looked at that one on the Netgear site and then saw the "N" version which says you can stream HD through it - but I would be very surprised if it worked! lol

daveon - my 360 is wired from the living room up through the wall, up through the ceiling, up through the floorboards and into the router which is wired to the PC. The reason I want another wireless router is I also have my US PS3 wirelessly connected via wi-fi and want the option of getting a laptop in the near future.

Think i'll give the "N" version a go - they're going for about £40-£50 on Ebay so worth a try!

Cheers all.

Paul.

If you do go for n let us know how it goes and good luck :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom