Advice on which used speakers for £150

Mad Bull

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the audio world so just starting to read into everything, it's all feeling slightly overwhelming. As I don't have a big budget at all, only around £150 I can push it up to £200 at most but no more unfortunately, so I'm going to get used speakers instead as I know you can get some absolute bargins for that price range compared to new speakers. I was looking at speakers probably from the late 90s onwards. For the size I'm thinking about using some bookshelf speakers, although I can make a little bit more room and get some floorstanding speakers too.

With so many different brands and models it becomes very difficult to compare them, especially the older speakers before the internet was such a big thing. I've found a lot of people saying all sorts of speakers are great but never actually comparing them. As i'm still new to audio it's pretty hard for me to know what I'm looking at.

I've got an amplifier already that I got years ago, Denon 2808 which probably isn't the best for music/films for todays standards, but it'll probably be fine for now at least. I also don't really have the volume extremely high like a lot of people so I'm not going to be pushing these really at all. Tell me if this is dreadful....

I've been looking at a few kef speakers such as the c55/q55/cresta/IQ5SE, or Wharfedale 9/10/11 if I find a good deal, B&W 302 or something that's a bit more modern with the Dali Opticon 1 along with a few other speakers too. Just so many different speakers that up.

I wondered if any of you lot could help at all by either giving me advice on what else to look for or the specific examples i'm looking at. I would really appreciate some advice as I feel that I'm just going around in circles now.

These will be mainly used for music along with a bit of gaming and films depending on my mood.

Any more information you lot need as well?

Thanks Ben

Last edited:
No matter the budget your room, layout and options for positioning and mounting the Loudspakers is key when looking at speaker options.

AVR - the Denon is a decent ‘AV’ Amp but maybe not the best option if your system is mostly geared around music playback.

Loudspeakers - second hand is a great market for a bargain and if you stick with the ‘big’ brands who are still around you can ensure drivers and crossover components are still available by talking to the manufacturers service dept.

Mission is another loudspeaker brand to consider as is Monitor Audio and Castle (though look out for perished foam surrounds on some models).

Joe

Upvote 1
Mission lx mark 2 is the safest choice without knowing what amp you have or room size.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I thought I had replied but turns out I hadn't, really odd sorry about the long response.

I'll probably going to be using 2 types of rooms, the main room which is around 15 feet x 20 feet but I'll probably put it up near a wall next to my computer, and when I move It'll be to a room that's half the size but it'll be in the similar position being up against the wall or at least near the wall.

I'm most likely going to go for bookshelf speakers rather than floorstanding or satellite speakers.

Thanks Ben

Upvote 0
You may find you have to ‘toe in’ the cabinets far more than expected if you are initially using the speakers for desktop audio with a typical computer workstation setup.

Bookshelf/Standmount are the most flexible option when you are moving rooms on a regular basis, try and budget for half decent stands.

Joe

Upvote 0
Thanks, and wow that was a quick response, really appreciate it!

Yep was expecting to toe it in a little so it's actually aimed at me. Do you have any recommendations on what kind of used speakers are good? I know it's a little hard and a lot of it is personal taste as well, along with where we live with whats avaliable on the market, I'm in the UK if that helps at all.

Ben

Upvote 0
I just spotted these in the classifieds. Now I can't say how well they will work with your amp, as when I owned a pair many years ago, I had them on the end of fairly decent proper stereo amp but assuming they are in full working order then they are great speakers for the price.

Upvote 0
I just spotted these in the classifieds. Now I can't say how well they will work with your amp, as when I owned a pair many years ago, I had them on the end of fairly decent proper stereo amp but assuming they are in full working order then they are great speakers for the price.

Thanks! But unfortunately I'm on the other side of the country from him, but I do appreciate the message.

Upvote 0
Thanks! But unfortunately I'm on the other side of the country from him, but I do appreciate the message.
No worries. Amongst others, 75 series Mission speakers would be on my short list if working to a small budget. Do be careful to check condition if you find some though as they are 90's speakers so pretty old now. In their day they were Missions flagship range.

Upvote 0
No worries. Amongst others, 75 series Mission speakers would be on my short list if working to a small budget. Do be careful to check condition if you find some though as they are 90's speakers so pretty old now. In their day they were Missions flagship range.
Thanks I'll keep an eye out for them. I'll keep an eye out for them, just a shame that nothing seems to be in the sw England, everything seems to be london/north England, something will pop up soon though

Upvote 0
Thanks I'll keep an eye out for them. I'll keep an eye out for them, just a shame that nothing seems to be in the sw England, everything seems to be london/north England, something will pop up soon though

This is the case no matter where you live. The things you want are always at the other end of the country!

I'd stick any generation Monitor Audio Silver range on your list too if I were you. I had some from a very early range (Silver 3i, 5i, 8i etc) and would happily use them again in a budget system. Same thing applies though in that they are getting on a bit now so make sure condition is good if you find some.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom