Advice on which subwoofer to upgrade too?

tankrocco

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi - First post looking for some advice so be kind :)

Currently have a 5.1 setup, with Dali Zensor 1s as fronts and mid, cambridge audio minx at the rear driven by a YAMAHA-VX483 amp.

I'm currently running a Cambridge audio SX-120 FF 8" sub, which is fine but looking to upgrade to a 10 or 12" for more power. Mainly will be used for gaming, movies and music so a mix really. I've been an admirer of BK subs for a few years now and looking at either the BK Gemini II or P12-300SB-DF as I don't have a sky high budget and impressed with the value they seem to deliver! Wondering though if the P12 will overpower my setup and whether I should just go with the Gemini?

Room layout is below:
Screenshot 2021-12-10 111145.png

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks

You have a large room to fill there and whilst the BK subs are decent enough (I have an XLS200 and XXLS400) I just bought a pair of Monoprice 12" THX sub's and they are phenomenal performers and excellent value for money.

I don't advocate you go that far but they do have a 10" THX which is fairly large but very powerful and for your size room to generate decent bass for movies would be an ideal upgrade. The 10" THX is on sale at the moment at £419 delivered and comes with a 5yr warranty.

I would say you would be getting far more for your money than the BK P12 and save nearly a £100 in the process.

Here is a review for the 10" and 12" subs.
Thanks for your advice kbfern. I'll take a look at the monoprice - smart looking sub. My only issue is likely the depth which I would struggle to fit without it sticking out into seating area, unless I had it sitting sideways which is always an option I guess. There is a 2nd hand well looked after P12 on ebay for £300 at the minute so trying to decide if that is the one to go for - however the depth is also approaching a similar size!

You could turn it sideways as it does not have to be firing directly into the room. what is under your left main speaker is it on a stand or is there a cabinet under it.

I use my 2 x 12" subs as speaker stands for the left and right as seen here in post 1458 from a couple of days back when I got my 12" THX subs.

You could turn it sideways as it does not have to be firing directly into the room. what is under your left main speaker is it on a stand or is there a cabinet under it.

I use my 2 x 12" subs as speaker stands for the left and right as seen here in post 1458 from a couple of days back when I got my 12" THX subs.

That setup you have looks lovely!

Unfortunately I have a wide TV cabinet which stretches between the wall and fireplace so I have no space for a sub that side of the room. Therefore, I need to find a space for it on the right side.

No problem then just turn it sideways if it does stick out too much, mine are the 12" so the 10" cabinets are a few inches smaller but like you say not much bigger than the BK P12.

I've just gone from the same Sx120 to a PB2000P, and what a difference.

Have you looked at the SVS range?

IMG_20210820_105039.jpg

I've just gone from the same Sx120 to a PB2000P, and what a difference.

Have you looked at the SVS range?

View attachment 1617311
No I haven't, mainly due to my budget being in the £200-400 range. I would love to spend more but due to other commitments its not possible currently - maybe in the future! The PB2000P looks like a beast of a sub...the SVS range does look very nice indeed.

Might be worth a look at something like this?

Might be worth a look at something like this?
Looks interesting and similar(ish) to the Monolith 10" recommended by kbfern above. Lots of brands that I haven't really considered to be honest. How would that compare to a BK-P12 do you think, I can pick one up for £300 currently so a saving of over £100 + 12" size? Is it worth holding fire and considering these other alternatives...

Yeah I think the monoliths offer very good VFM. You have a fairly big room so will need a big sub to pressurise it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom