1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on which setup would suit me best

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jasonft, Apr 18, 2005.

1. jasonft

jasonft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for advice on which DLP projector and screen set up would best suit my needs. I have a room approx 5m x 3m currently used as an office, however I had this great idea to turn it into a home cinema. I have a budget of approx. £2000 to buy a projector, screen (pref electric) amp and speakers plus any cabling. I have seen 2 projectors, a panasonic PTAE700 and infocus 4805, which is best? I would also appreciate some advice on which screen would be best, because of a fireplace in the room the wall which the screen is to go on is approx 6' wide. I have a friend who is helping me with the amp etc so I think I am covered on this.

Please help!!!

Jason

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Jason, you have actually seen both projectors, which did you think is best, and why?

3. jasonft

jasonft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am confused as to the reply, I havent seen any of them because I dont know what I am looking for, hence the need for the advice!

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I was responding to what you had typed, it appeared you had seen both projectors. :oops:

5. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I should have added that there is no clear advice as to which is best. If you do some searching on this forum, it basically comes down to DLP vs LCD technology, and features such as lens shift.

Its probably best if you read up on the different technologies, and then describe in detail how you intend to set up your room (i.e. how far will the projector be from the screen), and then ask more detailed questions :)

6. jasonft

jasonft

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.