Advice on which new budget - midrange to pick

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Nelly, May 16, 2018.

1. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Currently using a Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 provided by work, its ok but find the camera isnt great plus its only 16GB internal which is frustrating as despite having an SD slot not many apps can move to SD so easy to run out of space.
    I do like that the A3 isnt huge & can be used easily with 1 hand. I had a Galaxy S6 before this which I lost so decided to just go with my work phone only. That's obviously a bit bigger than the A3 but wouldnt want to go too much larger.
    Looking to spend up to £300 but ideally less.

In the running are the new Moto G6, probably the Amazon 4GB/64GB version @ £240 or I now see the more higher spec'd Honor 9 can be had for £275 which seems a bargain. Better to go for the slightly older Honor rather than a newer midrange? I'm not sure how much real world difference the higher spec chip on the Honor would be over the one on the G6? But in contrast, the Honor only has f2.2 rear camera vs the f1.8 on the Moto G6.

Equally there's the others like the Honor 9 Lite but I'm put off by no NFC, or P20 Lite but seems overpriced for the spec. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    There's also the MotoG6 Plus which is a Carphone Warehouse exclusive in the UK. It's £269, and reviews seem to suggest it's worth the extra £50 over the standard non Amazon G6.
    I'm in the same boat as you, so am awaiting some real life reviews of all of these.

3. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah but whilst only slightly bigger I feel the Plus is just a little too large.

Reviews of the G6 & G6 Plus are both looking really good, its only really the fact the Honor 9 is available so cheaply compared to when it 1st came out that is making me think.

4. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Seems Honor 9 was only £275 on Amazon yesterday, back to £300 now. Going to go get hands on a G6 in a Vodafone store tomorrow as they are apparently the exclusive carrier of the G6 to go see 1 on the high street.

5. simpsod1

simpsod1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've had the Moto G6 plus since launch...very very good handset.
    My son did some testing comparing browser speed and camera vs his iphone 7 plus and begrudgingly said the G6 plus was better!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good to know, thanks. Of course the Plus has the 630 chip vs the 450 on the standard G6. Reviews I've seen suggest its not a huge amount of difference in real world use other than in demanding games but will have to try & use both to see if there's any obvious difference.

7. colcraig72

colcraig72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Honor 9 lite has NFC. Works with android pay with no problems. The only issue I have with it was no AC WiFi, so had to split my HH6 Signal. Also couldn't use Nova Prime launcher