Advice on which DVD recorder to purchase

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by errigal, Sep 1, 2005.

1. errigal

errigal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I want to purchase a dvd/HD recorder soon. My budget is limited to 400 sterling.

I've been browsing through the various machines, but would really appreciate some advice on what other people would recommed.

I'm not looking for anything particularly flashy - just something that meets these requirements.

120Gb or more disk space
    Will work with my NTL Digital (cable) box (ireland)
    Reliable and proven
    Slick user interface - ability to easily name and ideally folderize recordings into categories
    Supports UHF and VHF.

Generally just a solid, user friendly recorder and player.

Any recommendations ?

2. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Pioneer DVR-530H will do all you want and more and be well within your budget.

3. errigal

errigal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you recommed it over the Sony hx710 which is similarly priced?

TIA.

4. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    That I can't answer because I've never used the Sony.
    However, the Pioneer is a wonderful piece of gear with excellent editing facilities. The Guideplus is also excellent but a lot of users have problems with it.

I started a thread here when I first had it -
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223651

5. scotte

scotte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would the pioneer work equally well with a telewest box? I was thinking of the toshiba XS34 - would the pioneer be better?

6. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I can't say the Pioneer will be better. All I can say is that you won't be disappointed with the picture quality, editing facilities etc. You may be lucky and your Telewest box works straight away with the Guideplus feature. I have my NTL box plugged into scart 2 (L1) and it works fine. I can get an adapter for my NTL box so that it will work from the Pioneers Guideplus. The Toshiba is a great machine but I would say the Pioneer is a lot better.

7. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The problem is that the vast majority of us only own ONE of the current batch of recorders. I use the Toshiba XS34 and have been very pleased with it. My previous recorder was one of the notorious Philips 890Rs. I certainly see the Toshiba as a big improvement over that machine, but I bought that one over three years ago.

I can only tell you about the XS34:

Strengths: 180GB HDD; superb editing facilities; plays my old +RW discs and my PC -Rs and my PC +R DLs; writes to -RW and -R discs that can be played on all my other DVD players (Toshiba, Pioneer, Sony, 'Argos', PC); controls my Sky box; produces excellent menu displays;

Weaknesses: no dual layer writing ability; no +R writing ability; no Freeview tuner;

I have never used a Pioneer recorder, but I have Pioneer PC drives, DVD players, mini disc player, and they are all excellent so I would fully expect their recorders to be the same.

With whatever you opt for there will be certain amount of faith, but most of all you need to decide what is the most important aspect; price, HDD size, writing flexibility, media compatibility etc. At least now recorders are a reasonable price, I paid £295 for my M/R XS34. Unlike the daft £470 I paid for my old Philips (which is now pretty much unusable).