• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on which 5.1 setup to buy for £1500

RajUK

Hi All

Advice on what 5.1 speaker package to buy for my home cinema for ~£1500 would be appreciated

Currently got some cheapo Mission speakers (roundy/triangle shapes ones if that makes any sense)

And previously I had some boxy Mission Cinema 7 with a REL Strata III sub

I'll prefer something smaller rather than larger if that won't compromise the sound for the 5 ... I don't mind what size/shape the sub is for the .1

The amp is a Yamaha 767

Edit : a look on whathifi.com showed me : Focal Dome 5.1, B&W MT30, KEF T105, KEF KHT3005SE-K2, KEF KHT-5005.2 ... is there anything else I should be considering ? I have a fondness for lotsa of LFE without distortion ... so which sub would be best if I consider a one-stop shop and get a 5.1 package instead of buying things seperately ?

Cheers

Raj

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The B&W speakers are pretty good and can be bought separately. The money you save on the B&W sub can then be used to get a BK Electronics Monolith sub which is not only cheaper but also better than the B&W one. I would also look at the Monitor Audio Radius Range (but again go for a BK sub instead of the packaged one).

RajUK

I'm thinking of getting the B&W MT-30 since it seems to have rave reviews

Would it be over-kill for my Yamaha RX-V767 AVR ?

And would QED SILVER ANNIVERSARY XT speaker cable do the MT-30 justice ? I think I'll be needing around 40m in total of speaker cable so I was budgeting £5/metre if I could get away with it

Finally, which AVForums trader should I use ?

edit : seems that the XT won't fit the B&W M-1 satellites in the MT-30 set ... and a few posts recommended : QED SILVER MICRO which is £3/metre ... is this still the case ? or is there anything better that will physcially fit ?

Last edited:

Lenamore 1

Standard Member
Hi I was wondering how you made out with your speaker choice as I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and sub ,I have the Jamo A10's at the minute with a Yamaha RX-V667 . I also would like to use a BK sub .Thanks for any info.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom