Quantcast

Advice on where to buy 50m cat6 cable for hdmi signal

tabs79

Novice Member
we are building an extension and I want to run prob 40m of cat 6 cable from the lounge, outside, up and into the loft, across the house and down into new extension. Cable to be used for hdmi from Sky / bluray over hdbase t transmitter / receiver set up.

I have no idea about cat 6 cable or where to buy from, a 50m drum would be enough so advice on where to buy from. Also any advice on the hdbase t devices to send the shy signal! Any recommendations.

tabs79

Novice Member
Ok thanks for that Aclass, but the question really is where do people recommend to buy the cable from really and what do I need to look for in the cable to get beat hdmi signal with it.

neilball

As long as it is external grade Cat6 (which should use solid copper cores, so stay away from any cable that is described as copper clad aluminium or similar. Cable that is not solid copper does not meet the Cat specs, so should not be called cat"x", but some of the less scrupulous online sellers seem to do this.

The other thing to watch out for is damage to the cable during installation - you need to pay attention to the bend radius at changes of direction, so no tight bends, ensure you don't kink the cable or stretch it by using too much force to pull it through the structure, and also do not staple or tightly clip the cable as this crushes the cores together which will also damage or degrade the cable. Running the cable in conduit externally will give additional protection from UV and weathering too.

tabs79

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies!

Do you know anyone selling shorter distances as that's a lot of money and cable that I don't need! Only need 50m max so a 50 or 100m reel would be fine but seems a lot of duds on Amazon and eBay!

neilball

neilball

It states the conductors are 100% copper, so it would appear that this is "proper" cat6 cable. I've not used this supplier myself so cannot say much more than that.

In terms of tools, you will need a cable stripper that cuts the external sheath without damaging the internal cores (I use a Cyclops cutter) or be very careful trimming the outer sheath! You'll also need an RJ45 crimp tool and suitable RK45 connectors. Make sure you read up on the process to correctly terminate these types of connectors and have a good number more than you need so you can practice a few times before making your final connections. Pay close attention to the colour sequences needed in the plug, stick with the TIA-568B scheme for both ends.

If you don't want to buy any tools or risk making poor quality terminations (RJ45 plugs can take a bit of practice to get right if you are doing this for the first time) then there are projects like the Asheridge Communications gigabit Ethernet adapters which provide a punch-down IDC connector for the cable termination, which requires no special tools. The insertion losses from the IDC connectors can be a problem for some cheaper HDMI extenders, but if you are using HDBT these will be fine.

neilball

It states the conductors are 100% copper, so it would appear that this is "proper" cat6 cable. I've not used this supplier myself so cannot say much more than that.

In terms of tools, you will need a cable stripper that cuts the external sheath without damaging the internal cores (I use a Cyclops cutter) or be very careful trimming the outer sheath! You'll also need an RJ45 crimp tool and suitable RK45 connectors. Make sure you read up on the process to correctly terminate these types of connectors and have a good number more than you need so you can practice a few times before making your final connections. Pay close attention to the colour sequences needed in the plug, stick with the TIA-568B scheme for both ends.

If you don't want to buy any tools or risk making poor quality terminations (RJ45 plugs can take a bit of practice to get right if you are doing this for the first time) then there are projects like the Asheridge Communications gigabit Ethernet adapters which provide a punch-down IDC connector for the cable termination, which requires no special tools. The insertion losses from the IDC connectors can be a problem for some cheaper HDMI extenders, but if you are using HDBT these will be fine.

tabs79

Novice Member
That's brilliant thanks! I think my sparky doing the extension is going to do the connections for me but I need to get the cable etc!

Would just be nice to have a cable recommended rather than me trying one out and hoping for the best!!

Timmy C

Blackbox GigaTrue 550 with matching connectors is what we always use - Cables, Bulk Cable, CAT6 - Black Box

Joe
Sorry to jump in on someone elses thread but it seemed silly to start a new one. I always trust your advice on these things Joe so can you just confirm the one in the link below is the one I need. In my case It's for internal use only for both internet connections for sky/squeezebox etc and also for HDMI over Cat 6 using my Gefen and Octava bits and pieces. It's all going above the ceiling during extension work so I can't afford to get it wrong!

EYN864A-PB-1000, GigaTrue® 550 CAT6, 550-MHz Bulk Cable - Black Box

neilball

Unless you plan to use shielded connectors and accessories throughout, and terminate the shield to earth correctly, you should stick to UTP. Incorrectly terminated shields can act like antennae, injecting noise/interference into the cable rather than keeping it out! In a residential environment there really is little or no need for STP/FTP cable.

Timmy C

Unless you plan to use shielded connectors and accessories throughout, and terminate the shield to earth correctly, you should stick to UTP. Incorrectly terminated shields can act like antennae, injecting noise/interference into the cable rather than keeping it out! In a residential environment there really is little or no need for STP/FTP cable.
Thanks. I just had a response from the company and they said the same about termination. I know little about this as you can probably tell but would far sooner take advice from you guys on here than the electricians my builders bring in! So just so I don't make a mistake, the one I first linked to is my best option right?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As Per Neil's advice avoid the shielded option and yes the link is to the cable we use/recommend.

Good luck with the build.

Joe

Timmy C

Thanks everyone. Cable arrived the next day...excellent service!

As you can guess I'm no expert at this but have terminated a few runs of Cat6 I installed in the past without any problem. I seem to remember reading differing suggestions when it came to the order the wires go in the plug. I couldn't really understand how it would make much difference as long as you do it the same at both ends but just in case there is a preferred way for my purposes do you think one of you could link me to details? Thanks again.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Last edited:

Adrian Hatton

Novice Member
Hi, I'm a data/fibre optic cable engineer
The four pairs (cat 5e/6 cable)are twisted at different rates , for example if you cut length of data cable then took the four pairs out the sheath and untwisted them you would see the actual length of the pairs are all different.
This is how high speeds are achieved -Signals are sent over all the pairs but arrive at the receiving end at different times because the actual distance to travel is varies over the four pairs- thus preventing data collisions,
Important to stick to 568b standard and not just make each end the same as you may not transmit down each pair correctly! :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Important to stick to 568b standard and not just make each end the same as you may not transmit down each pair correctly! :)' - that would be true for HDMI/HDBT if all HDMI Extender Manufacturers used 568b, we have one range of Extenders which does not stick with 568b (or a) and requires a straight wired connection.

Always check with your Extender Manufacturer.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I see where you are coming from but for HDMI we run/advise folk to run a 'stand-alone' cable network and it is best for it not to go anywhere near the premises data network.

HDMI (especially with the advent of 4K) is putting a much greater than normal 'expectation' on the CAT6 cable (which is simply being used as a cheap transport medium) every break in the cable run is a potential signal fail point, we don't advise folk to use terminated plates.

Joe