1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on what to listen for

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ninja Wannabe, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Ninja Wannabe

Ninja Wannabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After mucking around with my dvd player I managed to rip out the ends of the interconnects when trying to detach them from the 5.1 terminals at the back of the player. I made an effort to get to Richer Sounds and get some new ones (sorry if I offended anyone for using the R/S swear word there)

Me being me, king of the impulse purchase. I went in there wanting two new analogue interconnects, and left with a new dts receiver and an optical lead :blush:

Here's the confession: It was a Sherwood RD8108.

Now I'm not the most knowledgeable about hifi, and I thought I'd see what you lot thought about Sherwood after I'd had a listen. The consensus from doing a search seemed to be that they'd named it Sherwood 'cos it robbed from the gullible and gave to the Rich. Julian Richer to be precise :)

Anyway, I've decided that it doesn't really sound any better (worse?) than a yamaha amp that a mate sold me a while ago (Hi Bob!) So I'm taking it back and testing a Yamaha RX-V730RDS.

Now I know that the latter 'should' blow the Sherwood out of the water, but I'd just like to ask what I should be listening for, tests I can do on mine while its still connected at home that I can replicate on the one in their demo room on Saturday.

Ta muchly
    N-W

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Be careful of direct comparisons of amps on different days and in different rooms. I 'd take the Sherwood along with you on Saturday and test that and the Yamaha together. When testing I never bother with DVD's and surround sound. Just take along a couple of your favourite CD's that you know well and play them, preferably into speakers you use at home too.

You'll soon see which amp's sound you perfer.