Advice on what pots & pans to buy

funny that the general public make such a fuss about pans!!

ask a chef - maybe pm Gordon!

believe me they don't go for these consumer products - actually the truly professional pans cost a lot less - but they know how to season/age a pan:rolleyes:

all these fancy finishes just cover up the basic lack of skill on behalf of the cook who cannot learn to regulate the heat - that knob with numbers on has a purpose!! LOL

I think "these consumer products" are more for people who have to cook AND washup afterwards!! ;)

Another vote for Le Creuset....great to use,easy to clean,last for ever,but with only one drawback...lethal in the hands of an angry wife/husband. :D

Another vote for Le Creuset....great to use,easy to clean,last for ever,but with only one drawback...lethal in the hands of an angry wife/husband. :D

Too blooming heavy! The casserole dishes are good, but there is no way I could use them as saucepans (I only weigh 7 1/2 stone - a set of them would weigh as much as me!!)

Shaz

I presume the OP does not have one of those "induction" type hobs which require a certain type of pan to work.

Hi JUS,

I've had a lot of pans over the years and can only give you my opinion. The first one I ever bought was a stainless steel copper bottomed pan and this was my favourite pan ever. It had a black heatproof handle and knob on the saucepan lid. Twenty years ago we had a halogen hob and the instructions with this were not to use copper bottomed pans :frown: We bought some Bella Cuisine stainless steel pans with aluminium bases with black handles and black handles on the lids. They have been wonderful. I have now added a couple of extra Prestige pans, almost identical, as below.

See larger image

Prestige Cuisine Stainless Steel Covered Saucepan 16cm 1.9lt
Meyer Group Ltd

More about this product
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price: £29.97 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions

Availability: Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 weeks. Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk.

2 used & new available from £25.88

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Features
Made from 18/10 stainless steel for maximum durability.
Friction bonded stainless steel and aluminium fully encapsulated base, ensures even heat distribution eliminating hot spots.
Contemporary and stylish, new "soft touch" handle for ease of grip and comfort.
Oven safe up to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 (with lid or without lid).
Close fitting lids provide an ideal cooking environment retaining moisture, flavour and nutrients.
Suitable for all cooker types including induction.
Dishwasher safe.
Prestige Lifetime Guarantee.

No picture shown for some reason. They also have them in Argos but with blue handles.

Over the years I had anodised pans (good ones discarded because I was fed up with washing them by hand). Other pans with glass lids, knobs were too hot to touch and the handles (given away). Non stick have never lasted despite buying good quality ones. My Le Creuset casseroles are hardly ever used (too big and heavy).

Four years ago we bought an induction hob and the only pans suitable were my stainless steel Bella Cuisine and Prestige pans. Bella Cuisine are now not available but both were bought from Fenwicks. They are so good for cooking and cleaning. Normally just put in the dishwasher but burnt custard, etc. a little washing up liquid and hot water left overnight and it's easy, using a washing up brush.

Malice is wise to mention induction hobs as we had to discard a wonderful wok and frying pan when we bought this hob. The stainless steel ones are good on any hobs.

Hope I'm not too late in joining this thread.

I also hope the mods didn't mind me copying an ad from another site. I wanted to show the photograph but it didn't transfer.

Out of curiosity I just googled "Meyer Bella Cuisine" and found it is still available. So much for shop assistants telling me it wasn't made anymore (three shops told me that).

Online it's available from http://www.abbode-cookware.co.uk

Another site mentions these Bella Cuisine pans have a 25 year guarantee.

The Prestige ones are almost the same, all are brilliant pans.

I too have black hob, worktops and sink so they look good.

I like the Le Creuset casseroles but when I bought the cast iron frying pan it didn't stay non-stick for long. Oh, and you need arms like Bella Emberg to lift them.

Had mine for about 9 years now and the non stickability is still going strong, don't have an issue with it.

You're right though they do weigh a ton, Mrs PooPongMcPlop's finally got the hang of them. One advantage of them being so heavy is she can't really take a whack at me whilst holding one, or throw it too far for that matter :clap:

KH

35 Posts later do you still think the same.

We're obviously passionate about technology in all its forms :D

hehe...no, rather cool forum...can ask a question about anything and get loads of opinions back :D :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom