Advice on weighing or securing floorstanders.

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by spann3rs, Dec 22, 2011.

1. spann3rs

spann3rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a pair of KEF IQ90's and one keeps getting knocked over by our playful 11month old Collie. I need to somehow weight it down or secure it through carpet to the concrete floor.

Has anyone had the same problem and found a good solution? I've thought about filling the plastic plinth with some concrete?! - Would that be advised or is there a more suitable material available?

Unfortunately the easy answer (Getting rid of the dog) isn't an option...

Any advice would be great! -

2. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    The traditional weighting material is sand, poured into a hollow section of a speaker stand. But used in the actual speaker cabinet of a floorstander, you would be changing the properties of the speaker, as you reduce the internal volume.
    You could maybe improve stability with some outrigger feet?

3. spann3rs

spann3rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, I've looked at outriggers but they're very expensive for what they are.

I wouldn't want to fill the cavity of the speaker with anything at all but the plinth / plastic base has a crossed section which I may be able to fill. The crossed section will be upside down so I'm unable to put sand etc in as it will fall out.

4. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Ah, ok. I wasn't familiar with the design of your speakers - just assuming based on standard floorstander construction.
    Looking at a picture of the speakers and I see the plastic plinth you're talking about. If they were my speakers I wouldn't want to do anything permanent like fill them with concrete, partly because I like to keep things in factory condition (resale value to think of!) and also because there's a chance it could change the sound. Chances are it won't change the sound in a negative way, but still possible.

Also seeing the dimensions and weight of the speaker, and the fact that the drivers aren't all right at the top, I'm actually fairly impressed that your dog manages to knock it over!

5. spann3rs

spann3rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the advice... I've looked after these speakers really well for the past couple of years and the ruddy dog has knocked them over twice in as many months. The veneer is damaged on the top and rear so re-sale value isn't really coming into play anymore. The speakers are being knocked over sideways (From right to left) if this helps you picture it better. Front to back is solid and I highly doubt he'd be able to move them!

I might try something less permanent like extra strong Velcro to start with and see if I can adapt it somehow... Huff...:(