Advice on web purchase of X1 please

yeah I just saw that price myself, tempting.

Technoworld are reputable from everything I've heard before, admittedly I haven't bought form them myself but have only heard good things on the net, the dvdforums being one place.

I think this one is a DLP projector, I just had a look at the FAQ and watched the Rainbows test, I could see them certainly so if that's potentially whats this projector can do I might have to steer clear.

I did notice the Panasonic AE200 is only £50 more though.

:) it's in the FAQ of this very forum just come out of this post and it's the sticky at the top. Theres a handy X1 FAQ in there as well.

Cheers

If you are refering to the flash demo, that is just an illustration of how it can appear. Everyone should be able to see the rainbows in the demo. This doesn't mean that you will see them with the projector, for that you need to go and demo the projector.

Dan

torimusic

That's one hell of a price for the X1.

Look on the AVS forum for stacks of info on it plus you will find oodles of owner reviews on Projectorcentral.

According to reports on AVS the lamp life is now 4000 hours and it also has the mouthwatering Faroudja DCDI deinterlacing chip.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate but then I am an exponent of DLP, people are starting to get the whole rainbow thing way out of proprotion based on little more than poorly informed rumour.

Yes a very small proportion of people do have a bad reaction, and if you are one of them it is a significant problem.
I've had DLP projectors for over 5 years during which time dozens of friends and family have come around and watched films and sporting events.

Only a few have said they fleetingly saw rainbows, none of them said it was a big problem or that it spoiled the picture quality and none to my knowledge ever had any sort of reaction by way of headaches etc. If they did it didn't stop them coming around again and again.

By all means listen to what others say but get a demo and see for yourself or you may be mislead into making the wrong choice.

MikeD

Thanks Mike, I will pop around to Sevenoaks. Hopefully they will have something to demo. Just one more question, are there any major differences between the Screenplay 4800 and the X1 ?According to an article I read on the web, there's no difference hardware wise. They have apparently just modified some software settings to 'face lift' the X1 to be a dedicated theatre projector as opposed to a business/home projector.

I can't understand why there would be such a big price difference if this was all they did.

Thanks

T

torimusic,

I bought my X1 from technoworld. No problems and it arrived the next day!

I've flashed the X1 with SP 4800 firmware - the settings are more home cinema an you get 16.9 as default.

One problem with buying the X1 over the 4800 is the adapters (component to modified S-VIDEO and component to VESA). These are tricky to get hold of - but no reason to spend £1200 on a 4800!

Richard

torimusic

Richard is dead right you can install the firmware from the 4800 into the X1 and I think this also upgrades the lamp timer to 4000 hours, was that the case Richard?

I researched the IBM iL V300 (X1 clone in black, Uuugh!) quite a bit before opting for the more expensive and higher spec Optoma H30.

The IBM clone was around £640 only a couple of weeks ago with the X1 typically a couple of hundred pounds dearer.

The X1 now looks like a bargain for anyone wanting a high performance budget DLP projector.

The huge price drop in the US and now here makes me wonder if a new model is around the corner but at these prices so what?

Good luck with your trip to Sevenoaks and try to demo everything you can, just make sure that the playing field is even for all of the demo's.
By that I mean same DVD player, same DVD disc, same source (component, s-video, progressive feed, non progressive feed etc etc) same ambient lighting and anything else that could make a difference.

MikeD

I would steer clear of the InFocus X1 - For those that often mumble rainbows, rainbows this is one to take a look at. The speed of the colour wheel this projector lends itself to a particularly annoying artifact. I had one and sent it packing after 45 minutes.

I have seen it, and it may be a good price but pay a few hundred more and get a better projector designed for home cinema rather than a business projector that crosses over because of the higher contrast ratio. I wouldn't part with your money unless you are using it for PC based presentations!

RichieG

Does an X1 flashed with SP4800 firmware let you play 4:3 PAL content with black bars left, right, top and bottom. ie 4:3 on a 16:9 screen ?

I have an ilv300 and the main drawback is that I can't watch 4:3 content on a 16:9 screen. (NTSC allows this using 'native mode')

If so I think I'll be giving it a go!

Cheers

All right Neil £999 inc VAT , don't rub it in.

There really is no comparison (in my opinion) between the X1 and the H30. Look at colour wheel speeds 2x speed for the X1, 4x for the H30. Now that says a lot.

Save up the extra £200 and get the H30, see if you can see the H30 and X1 side by side. The proof is in the pudding.

LongBow

Originally posted by RichieG
torimusic,

I've flashed the X1 with SP 4800 firmware - the settings are more home cinema an you get 16.9 as default.

One problem with buying the X1 over the 4800 is the adapters (component to modified S-VIDEO and component to VESA). These are tricky to get hold of - but no reason to spend £1200 on a 4800!

Richard

How do you flash it ? Is there a cost involved ?

Originally posted by RichieG
torimusic,

Richard

The X1 is flashed using a PC and a USB-A to USB-B cable. The flahing utility and firmware can be downloaded from the Infocus website.

However, the utility doesn't let you flash an X1 with SP4800 firware (and vice versa) . To do this you need some hacked SP4800 firware. This is available by subscribing to a yahoo groups thread about flashing X1 firmware - I'll post with details when and if you are interested! After flasing with the modified firware (a change to a header record I believe) the X1 becomes a 4800 and can be flashed with 4800 firmware releases from then on.

Even after hearing about the Optomus projecter I still think the X1 takes a lot of beating for the price and allows you to upgrade in a year or two if you think FP is for you...

Thanks Richard

I will let you know when and if I buy an X1. Does the 4800 flash software make the X1 identical to the 4800 or are there other differences that you know of ?

No differencies that I know of. Its the same h/w and when flashed the same firmware...

just so you guys know this is now available for £571.33 delivered from Ebuyer

QuickFind code: 45168

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom