1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Warranty Work or Replacement Please !!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by shane515, Jul 8, 2005.

1. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hello All

Originally posted on another Thread thought would try luck here, after some advice please from those of you who have had to return their Plasma's for warranty work. The story so far...I have a very intermittent fault with my Plasma that I have reported 3 times over a eight month period. The first 2 times the engineer came out the fault had cleared. So this 3rd time, the Plasma went to his workshop for what I was told would be a 3-4 day assessment and where either repair or arrangements for a new plasma would be made, that was nearly 3 weeks ago. I am now consistently being told that my Plasma is 'on the work bench waiting for the fault to re-appear', even though I explained to the engineer and the supplier that the fault appears at irregular times, sometimes 3 months apart. :mad: How long do I have to wait here? So after many phone calls I decided to request a replacement screen, nice and calmly...

I have now spoken to the supplier who informs me that I cannot have a replacement because I must allow time for the repair.(But again how long?) Dismayed at his answer I contacted Trading Standards who said that I could ask for "A replacement TV of similar value NOW". I again contacted the supplier, his answer was that the information I had been given from Trading Standards was incorrect :mad: and the only way I can get a new replacement screen was if the manufacturer agreed to the replacement, reason he gave for this was 'he did not want a screen in his shop with a fault on it' !!!! But its alright to have it at my house after spending £2400.00!!!!

Advice required please: how long I should remain calm and let my warranty fade away before demanding some action and what more action to demand ??

Thanks for any advice and apologies if long winded or on wrong forum
    Shan

2. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Trading standards are right , you do have the right for a replacement as the supplier has had suffecient time to repair the panel ( i think the law gives them 3-4 weeks ).

You option now is to tell the supplier this and that if they won't do anything about it then you will be legally taking this further if it cannot be resolved, it would help if you went in person to the shop and demand something be done!

If you still have no luck then you will have to file a claim at the small claims court against your retailer.

Good luck bud!

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't think the law gives a time period, but this is certainly outside it whatever it is! Your rights might depend also on how serious the fault is. But then, as Dr. points out they've maybe shot themselves in the foot by hanging on to it so long. Your claim is against the retailer, the manufacturer has nothing to do with it. What's the mystery fault, it might have a simple cure that someone here could give advice on?

4. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for reply chaps, I have 'again' spoken to the retailer who explains that he will defiantly get a answer from manufacturer on Mon 12 Jul, if not it will all have to get very ugly with no option but to go to court.

MAW, you may remember my problem from the Hitachi forum, here, post 721

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1556527&postcount=721

I was hoping that someone had experienced it before and could suggest a way of clearing the 'dots' when I posted it.

Thanks again
    Shane

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I remember it now, it's been a while. With the photo as evidence, they can hardly say there is no problem, in fact I'd have thought a maker's engineer could have diagnosed it. I'll be honest, I don't know enough about how they work to say what that could be, but then it's not my job. It's certainly serious enough to warrant replacement, especially as you've been complaining for a while. I think the small claims court will swiftly agree with you. Even with just the photo. I should think the dealer is reluctant cos he'll just have to take the £2k on the nose, H have told him they see no problem and will not help. I've had similar experience in the past, not with my own business luckily.

6. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If he says it's down to the manufacturer, ask trading standards to write to him pointing out the relevant legislation ;) I used their services and they offered to help. Have you had any template letters from them with their footer? That may persuade him. Should it go legal, he WILL lose and he should know it.

I had mine replaced by Currys only this week and it was out of warranty :D Now if Currys can do it, so should your supplier.

7. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Many thanks for the advice, fingers crossed this will be resolved without the hassle of going to court etc etc. Another thing that is now concerning me is, just how is the 'engineer' inducing the fault, is my screen being left on 24 hours a day and if so what is being viewed !! The more I think about this whole situation the more I regret ever parting with £2400 !!! Mind you the 14" portable I am currently watching is doing my head in :thumbsdow

Anyone else running a Lumagen Vision thro a 14" portable with 7.1 surround sound!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

8. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Quick update for anyone who is following this, rang the Engineer to get up date (Mon 11 Jul) and he informed that my plasma was being delivered to my house on PM Weds 13 :clap: excellent news, I asked what had been replaced, 'absolutely nothing', was the answer :mad: The Engineer then went on to explain that he could not enduce or see the 'banding problem' not bad considering that it did not have a banding problem. :thumbsdow After explaining that it was a Dot problem he then tried to lay the fault with my other gear !!! Even though I told him that with NO inputs to the screen it still displayed the dots....I have totally given up on them now, just give me the screen back :mad: :mad: :mad:

After this I again spoke to supplier, who I might add was found and advertises through this website, and calmly explained that I definitely want a replacement screen the instant my current screen is delivered back to me. 'I understand your problem but until the manufacturer makes the decision to replace I can do nothing' came his reply. If this is the case, on Wednesday PM I will be contacting my solicitor with the information that I have and informing them to start proceedings to the Small Claims Court.

All they had to do was honour the warranty and replace my screen :rolleyes: :mad: :thumbsdow

Shane

9. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He is wrong about that and he should be aware of it. It will just end up costing him more as not only will he still have to replace it, he will have your costs to honor as well.

Perhaps prepare a letter to go off recorded delivery pointing this out. You are entitled to list reasonable time frames for action. In that letter politely point out that should you require a solicitor and/or court action to ensure he carries out his legal obligation then you will be instructing them to recover any out of pocket costs in addition to replacing your set.

Some of the following text from Trading Standards may help in wording your letter. Also, if you bought on a credit card, the credit card company are jointly liable.

At least Currys understood how the law works! ;) (Yes, I got a brand new set after almost 14 months!)

The law IS on your side!

10. JIMMY

JIMMY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    name the retailer

jim

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sometimes it's very unfortunate to be a retailer. Have Hitachi seen those photos? They can hardly deny the problem. They are in fact the guilty party, even though the retailer is liable. The likelihood is that they will simply be hung out to dry by Hitachi here. I symathise, but I'd like to think I'd have bitten the bullet by now, as it's inevitable. Well, not in my case, cos I won't deal with H apart from the odd cable.

12. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Maw

Yes I can (Could) sympathise with the retailer, up to a point, he tells me that he IS in contact with Hitachi and that the pictures of the fault have been e-mailed to them and now he is awaiting their decision, however, as Trading Standards and most others are telling me, I have a contract with the supplier not Hitachi directly. I did not want this to get this messy, I just wanted a fault repaired...under warranty :rolleyes:

Jim....don't want to upset the apple cart here so I wont name the retailer, just in case this is resolved this afternoon, :eek:

13. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Blair Out

Many thanks for your reply, I have printed off your advice and added it to the mountain of paperwork I already have to take to my solicitors......hopefully it will be resolved this afternoon because I can still see no reason why it need go that far.

Shane

14. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Any updates?

15. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Update..funny you should ask Scooby, my screen has been returned.....DAMAGED on the top of the surround fascia, noticed it a soon as delivery guys unpacked it, have informed the repair company of damage and await their reply.... :mad: :mad: :mad: icing on the cake, can this get any worse, please read on.

Spoke to Hitachi's Customer Help line, just to put my mind at rest, the guy on the phone explained that. "The supplier was RIGHT not to offer a replacement at this stage, and if the screen is be replaced it would be a good will gesture from the supplier, BUT it has nothing to do Hitachi. The supplier and Hitachi had honoured their part by supplying engineers to 'try and repair the problem' even though nothing has been repaired". He went on to explain that even with the photographs as evidence the situation would not change because "No engineer has SEEN the problem." The only way the screen would be exchanged is if I manage to get an engineer in front of the screen whilst the dots are present, then he would try and repair it and if unsuccessful, THEN a replacement would be considered !!! :thumbsdow

Why bother with warranty no-one wants to know when things start to go wrong.....:mad:

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That bit about the engineer seeing the problem is their problem not yours. You've got the evidence, if they can't fix it there's only 1 place left to go. I'd have thought they could work out the most likely components that are the source of this problem and just replace those, it'd most likley be cheaper than replacing the whole screen, and they'd be seen to be doing something, which would please you, the paying customer. How cheap online shops with no margins deal with this kind of thing I have no idea. The retailer is going to be out of pocket on this one I'd say.

17. psychobod

psychobod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As someone who is about to buy a plasma, and given the good comments about returns to LJ, Comet, and various other suppliers that are posted on this forum, I think it is important to provide the name of the supplier!

We have the name of the manufacturer! I certainly don't want to spend so much money on a product that has no viable support. It is a bit like ebay - dodgy suppliers get bad ratings that everyone can see, and have an ability to post a reply defending themselves.

Go for it - name the supplier!

18. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Perhaps the fact that it was returned damaged will work in your favour, It looks as though there will be no alternative but to replace it now.

I hope you get a resolution that you are happy with.

19. VSC

VSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I service plasma screens myself and normally refrain from posting so as to avoid mass abuse from you guys. :suicide: I must say though that I could not resist this time. I've never worked on a Hitachi but the principles are the same for most of these sets. How can these guys ignore a photo? :rolleyes: Surely an ounce of intelligence is required to be allowed to service these products! Plenty of times I've received the polite offer from a customer to shove a set sidewards up my a**e. :eek: You've got to appreciate how often a decent engineer is let down by the surrounding personnel at larger companies. Follow the trading standards thing through and mention watchdog and court too, tends to get a**es twitching at higher levels than workshops. :smashin:

20. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I think this treatment is discusting and you should take them to the cleaners. My interest in this is because my Dad is going through something similar. Not with a plasma but a Toshiba RP. Repair company have had it for 5 weeks and have only just offered a loan set! I have told him to tell them that they have had it too long and we are going to contact who we purchased it from followed by the credit card company &then small claims court if need be. Retailers and service centres get away with this far to often and should be punished. What I would like to know is surely if it cannot be repaired in a resonable time by the manufacturers approved agents then surely the retailer dosent loose out as they would then be able to claim the money they paid for the item originally???

I really think yopu should name the retailer.

Ps sorry for the mini hijack

21. VSC

VSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MAW's the man to speak to on retailer's rights. As far as the repair agents go, if they cannot get parts etc. it's not their fault. Some do not want to swallow the cost of another trip to the customer whilst waiting for the required parts. I'd certainly find it easier to keep the customer updated at least, and once a diagnosis has been made I'd offer return until the required part does arrive. If suitable I'd then repair on site. This particular guy sounds a little bit of a cowboy, like I said before I've never serviced Hitachis but I still think I know what's wrong with it. I know that the repair agent can hold the goods ready for return to the manufacturer, but then they'll need authorisation. The manufacturer should arrange to credit the store, who then in turn refund or replace for the customer. The original screen then stays with the manufacturer.

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    LOL no rights at all now I think.

23. VSC

VSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well yeah, apart from the right to take the blame for everything. Wasn't world famine put down to retailers in the end? :D

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Maybe but I don't sell food. What I meant was actually that this particular fellow seems to have chucked his out the window. Course we do have rights, but 1st right is to the customer. Ie. he's always right.