1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on wall mounting Panny P500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Ponty, May 26, 2005.

1. Ponty

Ponty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like most people have been waiting for P500 before deciding between this and 435XDE.

I want to wall mount on an internal block wall with dab and dot plasterboard and want all the cables hidden. I'm quite happy to cut away at plasterboard and re-plaster etc, but am concerned about how to do this and still facilitate a change of cables etc if/when I change equipment (Xbox, PS3, different DVD whatever).

The 435XDE is no problem in that I just have to hide the umbilical and connect everything to the media box.? The P500 is a different animal.

Has anybody got some advice on how to achieve this?

Many thanks

2. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    put a thick bit of pipe in the wall, and loop a bit of string thru it, make sure you tie the string into a loop, and whenever you want to put a new cable in just wrap the string around it and pull it up thru it

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    I will be doing the same, I will probably channel it out and put some trunking in there, and leave enough space for a HDMI cable.
    I will have to run some component cables (DVD), RGB SCART (XBOX) and Audio Cables.

Oh, and the power lead.

Should be ineteresting.... :rolleyes:

4. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only problem is that the pipe needs to be big enough to pass the connector ends through and if its a scart cable then you will be looking for waste pipe, which will be too thick to go behind a dot and dab wall. You also need to be careful about taking the pipes round corners. I once pulled a small svideo cable in 25mm conduit for 5 mtrs and that was very very hard, it also buggered the cable up as it streched it!!

The best way is to have face plates that are spread out every 2 mts that you can pull through and not bother with any type of pipe etc. Or splash out and buy every type of cable you can before hand, eg hdmi, componet, s video etc

5. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Instead of doing "dot and dab" plasterboarding, could you fix wooden battens (eg. 2"x2" about 2ft apart) to the wall and attach your plasterboard to that instead. Then you will have a 2" gap between the plasterboard and wall, enough room to pull any wire through. Just cut a hole behind where the plasma will fit and a hole at the bottom, you can then increase the size of the hole if you decide to upgrade your cables later.