1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on VCR replacement (panasonic)

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by nunew33, Jul 11, 2002.

Tags:
  1. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Panasonic VCRs NVHS830 and 825. Opinions?[\B]

I have narrowed down my choice to 2 Panasonic models. The 830 at £159 from empire or the 825 at £211 from unbeatable.

825 has editing (not interested) and tape library feature. Is this feature worth the extra £50? (I notice it is absent from the whole new NV???30 range).

I also notice that STB is absent. I am unlikely to need the flexibility of a timer with SKY, EPG should be enough (as I am likely to want to record whole programs) so is the EPG accurate and does it trigger the VCR to come on everytime? Or is this unreliable (I know that its inflexible).

Also I have gone for the Panasonic for SVHSET. Is there anything I should be aware of regarding its usefulness, ie do all digiboxes provide svideo out (thinking about it even if the output is composite the SVHSET will still record at superior quality (400 lines) or have I misunderstood what SVHS and SVHSET has to offer?).

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The Tape Library feature on the Panasonics is totally useless, I don't need my VCR telling me what's on a video tape.
    I wouldn't trust a standard SKY digibox and it's Personal Planner software enough to rely on it to record programs but someone who actually uses that method can give you more accurate information than I can and I believe only certain Grundigs have s-video out and I don't know anything about the S-VHS standard:)

3. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Just to offer another point of view, I use the tape library feature all the time, & find it very useful. I've got 3 kids, & they want various programmes recording all the time, & it's so easy to use VideoPlus to record, & Tape Library to find out what's on a tape, if there is room on the tape for what you want to record etc. If you are organised enough to label your tapes & change the label if you re-use the tape, (which doesn't sound too difficult) you probably won't make use of the tape library feature, however, if you live in a world of chaos (like my house), tape library works great! It's never gone wrong yet (frantically searching for some wood to touch).
    Panasonic do a NVHS960 which has SVHS-ET, Library, and STB control, but it's about £370. They do (did) a couple of models which have STB control, but only have Quasi-SVHS-ET playback (NVHS760 & NVHS710),both of which have Tape Library, but I believe these have been replaced by models without the library.
    Hope this helps:D

NB to Starburst - Ilson, another one, surely not!

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Like Orson proves some hardware features are a god send to a user while totally pointless to another, best thing you can do is find a machine that does exactly what you need and if it's got some extras then woohoo.

Ilson, Centre on the internet world:)

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    My wife is verging on tears 2nite as she cant find fridays or saturdays Big brother! SO I think tape library would be handy.

tested SVHSET on saturday. Underwhelmed so that facility is out the window. Requirements are now:
    STB control
    Phono and composite out at rear and in at front
    Tape library

not a lot to ask for

No one appears to do it for under £200 and those that are over are giving me bells and whistles I dont want.

Some of thes manufacturers should play on the fact that there is a cinemaphile market to exploit - who wouldnt invest in a VCR that is designed to be incorporated into a home cinema with focus on sound clarity, picture integrity and socketry galore! Id up my budget for a dedicated piece of kit!