1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on using Wharfdale PPS 1 'loudpanel' speakers for surround sound

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Fatman, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Fatman

Fatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice on using some Wharfdale 'NXT' PPS 1 loudpanel speakers in a surround-sound configuration. I've just picked up some loudpanels and a sub (looked a bargan at £49.99 from HiFiBitz). The thing is I've not totally figured out how I'll be using them.

I have a Cyrus 5 amp and B&W 603 S3 speakers, so I'd like to pass the front channel audio through those (since I'll be retaining the B&Ws/Cyrus for CD playback). I'm intending to use the loudpanels as rear speakers only. The Wharfdale manual suggests that the loudpanels can be connected directly to the rear outputs of an AV amp, but they couldn't be connected to the front L/R outputs. Is this due to the sub signals being passed over the front channels (and being unmanagable for the loudpanels alone)?

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's possible to use the sub that comes with the PPS1 package without it being plugged into the front L/R AV channels...?

I'm thinking of picking up a Yamaha DSP-E800 for use in this set-up.

Any suggestions of how these should all hook together?

cheers! :thumbsup:

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    There will be a lot less power going into them and much less bass and that's why directly connecting the panels is possible. There's no reason why you can't use the sub with a pair as rears, try it both ways.

3. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    The sub in the Wharfedale system is specifically tailored to work with the picture panels only, so you don't want to be thinking about using it anywhere else but with the partnering NXT panels. Therefore, don't try to use it as an LFE sub, or with the B&Ws on the front.

Instead, you should wire Rear L from the amp (E800) to the left input on the PPS1 subwoofer. Similarly, wire Rear R from the amp to the right input on the PPS1 sub. Then wire each PPS1 panel from the outputs on subwoofer (left and right).

The sub shouldn't be seperated from its partnering panels. The sub is there to extend the bass response of the NXT panels (which can't really do bass), rather than act as a cinema sub for an entire AV system. So think of the Wharfedale sub as allowing the rear speakers to be full range - you can set the rears in the menu to 'Large'.

If you want an 'LFE' sub (or however you want to describe it) for the *whole* system, then you'll need to investigate a second active subwoofer to connect to the Yamaha.