Advice on using Computer LCD as TV

FatBoyii

Standard Member
Am I right in thinking that I can use a computer LCD screen as a TV by using a scart to d-sub convertor and adding the sound from the scart pins 1,3&4 to the screens sound input. I have a spare DTV box that would supply the feed to the CRT from it's scart output. Most computer screens seam to have audio amplifiers built in.

This could be a very cheep solution for me if it is a workable solution.

S2KI

Standard Member
I have seen this question asked before without any answers.

I tried to get my Sharp 17" LCD monitor to work with a digibox and JS RGB to VGA convertor that I already had. However the LCD would not accept the signal. It may have something to do with the internal scalers on the LCD being different to that of a TV.

dealmaker

Standard Member
Some PC TFT screens come with an S-Video input - e.g all Dell's above say 17" now come with S-Video.

Theoretically (and I might try this) you could get a Freeview box with an S-Video output via scart (eg Sony 800) and use a Scart -> S-Video lead with RCA stereo leads - plug the S-Video into the TFT screen - the RCA leads directly (or via a 3.5mm jack convertor) into some PC speakers and Bob's your mothers brother.

loz

Distinguished Member
dealmaker said:
Some PC TFT screens come with an S-Video input - e.g all Dell's above say 17" now come with S-Video.

No they don't.
Only the 20" 2001FP and 2005FPW

dealmaker

Standard Member
loz said:
No they don't.
Only the 20" 2001FP and 2005FPW

Sorry !! I've got Both a Dell 2001FP and a 2005 FPW (which is awesome value by the way) - and they both have S-Video sockets!!

With the optional ASW-500 soundbar - the 2005 fpw, connected to a suitable set top box - might make an excellent TV (12ms response time!)? Only trouble is - no remote volume control (though the set top box remote would control channel switching.)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom