1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on using Computer LCD as TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by FatBoyii, Feb 2, 2005.

1. FatBoyii

FatBoyii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I right in thinking that I can use a computer LCD screen as a TV by using a scart to d-sub convertor and adding the sound from the scart pins 1,3&4 to the screens sound input. I have a spare DTV box that would supply the feed to the CRT from it's scart output. Most computer screens seam to have audio amplifiers built in.

This could be a very cheep solution for me if it is a workable solution.

2. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have seen this question asked before without any answers.

I tried to get my Sharp 17" LCD monitor to work with a digibox and JS RGB to VGA convertor that I already had. However the LCD would not accept the signal. It may have something to do with the internal scalers on the LCD being different to that of a TV.

3. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some PC TFT screens come with an S-Video input - e.g all Dell's above say 17" now come with S-Video.

Theoretically (and I might try this) you could get a Freeview box with an S-Video output via scart (eg Sony 800) and use a Scart -> S-Video lead with RCA stereo leads - plug the S-Video into the TFT screen - the RCA leads directly (or via a 3.5mm jack convertor) into some PC speakers and Bob's your mothers brother.

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    No they don't.
    Only the 20" 2001FP and 2005FPW

5. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry !! I've got Both a Dell 2001FP and a 2005 FPW (which is awesome value by the way) - and they both have S-Video sockets!!

With the optional ASW-500 soundbar - the 2005 fpw, connected to a suitable set top box - might make an excellent TV (12ms response time!)? Only trouble is - no remote volume control (though the set top box remote would control channel switching.)