Advice on using a pair of speakers as a center?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by OriginalArnie, Oct 21, 2005.

1. OriginalArnie

OriginalArnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I already have a pair of aelite 3 floorstanders, and my old Mission speakers (750 special edition) are in use as rears - so a 4-speaker set-up.

I'd like to get the aelite center speaker, but really don't have space for a proper center speaker either above or below the screen. So, I have some questions:

1) If I buy a pair of aelite one's and sit them very close either side of the screen, I can wire them up to the center speaker output of my amp (a denon 3805). Is there any reason not to do this?

2) Should I wire them up in parallel or serial? (Aelite 1's are 8 ohms... 4 ohms is the recommended minimum for the amp - although, the way the manual's worded, you can go lower if you improve the ventilation around the amp...)

3) If I place them on a wooden surface (a desk) should I use rubber feet or spikes - perhaps with a nice solid block of plywood underneath?

Thanks for any help!

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i wouldnt of thought that would improve performance much more than using L + R to phantom a centre. the idea of a centre, partly, is for better off axis viewing, so it seems like the voices are actually coming from the screen, but using 2 means you would have to be in between them still for the best sound.

If you connect them in parallel the amp will see 4 ohms and should be fine, but the mismatch with the rest of the speakers may effect it.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    You could use just one speaker (although i suppose they usualy come in pairs) as a centre or even if you amp allows use the second as a rear centre for 6.1.

My centre speaker has always been placed on top of my tv and i just used blue tack (and weight) to secure it, also provides a little bit of isolation.

You could also go with phantom mode and save yourself a few quid, but i think you'd be bette of with a centre. You can also put the speaker on its side if its pretty tall.