• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

advice on upgrading

almightygoodgod

Hi

Am looking to upgrade to SKY HD, gave SKY a call and was quoted £299 as only been with them a year, not really prepared to pay that so been looking on ebay.

I have seen a box for £155, it states it is the Thomson DSI 8215. Am I right in thinking this is theonly box available and if I do purchase it I just take all the cables out of the back of my Sky+ then ring Sky and get the card paired to the new HD box?

Also, do you suggest selling my Sky+ box as is or upgrading the hard drive first and then seling it?

Thank you

alpine101

Hi

Am looking to upgrade to SKY HD, gave SKY a call and was quoted £299 as only been with them a year, not really prepared to pay that so been looking on ebay.

I have seen a box for £155, it states it is the Thomson DSI 8215. Am I right in thinking this is theonly box available and if I do purchase it I just take all the cables out of the back of my Sky+ then ring Sky and get the card paired to the new HD box?

Also, do you suggest selling my Sky+ box as is or upgrading the hard drive first and then seling it?

Thank you
Check the VAT statement on the seller's description...

Korum

Hi

Thank you

Yeah you just swap all the cables over and give Sky a ring and they'll help you set it up.

Read the small print from the place of purchase of the new Sky HD box, some add VAT as already stated and some charge your Credit Card another £150 if you don't subscribe to the HD channels within a few weeks of purchase.

Scapegoat

Yeah you just swap all the cables over and give Sky a ring and they'll help you set it up.

Read the small print from the place of purchase of the new Sky HD box, some add VAT as already stated and some charge your Credit Card another £150 if you don't subscribe to the HD channels within a few weeks of purchase.

The retailers offering the cheaper HD boxes (midsat etc) did the same thing - charge you full price if you don't upgrade to HD sub with Sky. Why would you want a HD box w/out HD sub though?

There is a shop in Normanton (nr Wakefiled) called JWS (they have a website) who have a sign in the window saying Sky HD £180. Might be worth giving them a call and see what the deal is.

Midsat when they were selling it charged me £14 for p&p and sent me the box. Installed myself and called Sky to activate - £164 v £299 + £60 installation.

If JWS do something similar then you would be looking as less than £200.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom