Advice on upgrading TV - multiple use cases - Thank you!

Hi all,

I currently have a Hisense series 5 58" 4K telly as my main PC monitor with a second screen being a normal PC monitor. It's been great but I'm looking for something with a higher refresh rate/HDMI 2.1 and generally better image quality. Running output from an Nvidia 3080Ti.

My use cases are...
  • PC gaming
  • Photo editing
  • Media streaming (Foxtel, Youtube, Netflix etc - via the PC, not TV app)
  • Media watching (Kodi, VLC - via the PC)
  • General web browsing
  • Occasional music recording
  • Quality up-scaling is a big bonus as I have content that is sub 720p (but 720p and 1080p is more common)
The TV is in a converted single garage close to the wall which is furthest away from the garage door and I have good control of lighting via smart LED strips. 99% of viewing is from directly in front of the panel.

My question is in two parts really. The first part is what are people's experiences with OLED panels being used as a computer monitor and possible burn-in? I can move all desktop shortcuts to the second monitor and I have a large photo collection slide show that refreshes every 10 seconds. Can also turn off that slideshow and just have a plain, black screen if need be. The panels I have been looking at are the LG C1 and the Sony XR A80J. Can anyone recommend one over the other for the above use cases please?

If I'm looking at burn-in issues and should be looking at non OLED panels, I'm asking for the same recommendation question for the above use cases between the Samsung QN85A and the Sony XR X90J.

Not being able to go and see these panels with my own eyes due to lockdown is very frustrating as I can't see for myself what the picture quality difference is between these four panels.

EDIT: Sound will be coming out of a dedicated AVR so I'm not too fussed about the sound capabilities of the TV. Thanks.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

The A80J uses the new EVO panel which makes it more durable, and capable of getting brighter. Makes it a good choice for showcasing HDR compared to TVs that don't have the newer EVO panel like the C1...although to be fair, both TVs will be very good with HDR content anyway.

C1 is the clear winner if you're priority is gaming. They have gaming centered features Sony lack like HGIG support and Dynamic Tone Mapping...these things are crucial for HDR gaming for a set and forget experience... so with the Sony expect some more tweaking to do between titles.

I don't see the issue with burn in unless you are planning to keep the TV on all day, and plan on using it as a computer monitor. The occasional web browsing and app use I'm sure will be fine. But if you are running the TV a lot with the same static elements then you may see pixel degradation in the long term. If however this is going to be mainly used for video, or to showcase photos then its not really a concern at all.

Upscaling doesn't matter at all if you're using your computer btw. That is unless you plan on setting your PC to change resolution each time you play something. Most people will set their PC to output 4k 120hz and leave that to do the upscaling, not the TV.

As with all advice this time of year, I'd say its not worth buying any 2021 currently, if you can get last years stock like the CX at a discount its much better to do that instead. Otherwise to save some cash I'd wait for prices to lower a bit, since 2021 TV pricing is still very high having not been released for very long.

On the LCD front TVs like the X90J and QN85A are not at all rivals to OLED TVs. You'd need to look at the QN94A or QN95A, or Sony's XJ95 (65" and up) to really put the best LCD TVs have to offer against OLEDs. Simply put, those choices do not come close with overall picture quality once you are looking at OLED TVs.

What I'd personally do? Keep what you have for now. Target upgrading to a HDMI 2.1 model when prices are more reasonable. And if you do have to upgrade now go for last years model, even if that does restrict you to HDMI 2.0 you'll still be able to game with 1440p 120hz (LG CX/GX has HDMI 2.1 though). Instead of splashing too much money on a 2021 TV now, you could buy a 2020 one like the Philips OLED705 at a fraction of the cost, then put the money later on to upgrade sooner.

Thanks for your reply @Dodgexander, much appreciated.

Monday to Friday it's around 4 hours a day and with the weekends being around 9-10 hours on each day and that's 80% video content or various PC games.

And thanks for the advice about waiting. I think I'll keep researching and also get in the ear of a photographic mate that works in electrical retail as soon as I can physically get into a shop again.

And very interesting about the upscaling, I hadn't thought that all the way through.

So if the TV itself has really good smarts for upscaling say 1080p to 4k, am I better off setting my display in windows to 1080p, running the 1080p content full screen and letting the TV do the upscaling grunt work for the best picture?

Thanks again!

Dodgexander

So if the TV itself has really good smarts for upscaling say 1080p to 4k, am I better off setting my display in windows to 1080p, running the 1080p content full screen and letting the TV do the upscaling grunt work for the best picture?
I doubt you'd notice a difference in upscaling, particularly with 1080p which scales very well to 4k even on TVs without dedicated picture processors...but to answer your question yes, you can change the output of your computer to match the source and let the TV handle the upscaling instead if you wanted too.

Some people already do this when they are using external scaler boxes, although you may find better results using the CUDA cores to let your PC do the upscaling anyway using a renderer like MadVR.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom