Advice on upgrading receiver for Q-Acoustics surround system

Spagliatelly

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in upgrading my 5.1 system to a 5.1.2 system.
Can anyone advice me on these 3 questions:
1) which extra speakers I should buy? (I can't use in-wall speakers btw)
2) Receiver I should buy?

I have a 5.1 surround system with Q Acoustics 2010i speakers.
4 bookshelf speakers:
1 center channel speaker (also from Q Acoustics). Probably this one:
combined with a Yamaha RX-V377 receiver:

It's for watching movies mostly, home cinema, for trying dolby atmos. Wired speaker. All the rest doesn't matter really.
It doesn't need to go super loud either, neighbors would complain anyway.
So the receiver should be good at playing when the volume is low or medium, if that is a thing.
I use it for music sometimes but not much. I usually use different speakers for that.
My receiver budget is around 500 to 600$. 700$ maybe, but that is high cost for me.

3) I see my 2010i speakers are:
Nominal Impedance: 6ohm
Minimum Impedance: 4ohm
but the Yamaha receiver I have is 6 ohms. Should I buy a receiver that has a Minimum Impedance of 4ohm or is 6 ohm fine?
I just bought a set years ago. Don't have much knowledge about this technical stuff.

Welcome to the Forum.

There is no need to worry about your Yamaha, it will happily drive speakers that are 4, 6 or 8 ohm. That goes for the vast majority of AV amps available on today's market. You cannot run a 5.1.2 with the V377, it's a 5.1 amp as an absolute maximum. To enjoy Atmos you would need a new AV amp that is capable of at least 7.1/5.1.2 such as the Denon AVR X1700.

Speaker wise you would need the additional two speakers to be placed in the ceiling as the preferred option, or speakers that can be placed on top of the front left and right speakers. These speakers can also double up as angled speakers that can be placed high on the front wall above the fronts. You would need to search for Dolby Atmos upfiring speakers, there are several on the market to suit all budgets.

Yeah I figured I would need a new receiver. Costly. I will look into the Denon AVR-X1700H you mentioned. I have no idea about speakers yet. Do they need to match the same ohms as my current speakers or does that not matter? Not sure how to match quality of my current speakers, what to look for.

I bought a pair of q Acoustic ceiling speakers from Amazon for about £100… these work great with my QA 3010’s & QA3090C

These…..
5FCC6B8E-CF41-4360-A4F7-A7FCDD203979.png

Do they need to match the same ohms as my current speakers or does that not matter?
Does not matter. I have 4 8 ohm ceiling speakers with 6 ohm rear surrounds, and 4 ohm everything else. Works fine, with one caveat: low impedance speakers require more current, so with enough low impedance speakers, your amp might starve, although not likely due to ceiling speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom