Advice on upgrading my Projector needed...

CrazyHorse

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm after some opinions before I take the plunge on a new PJ.

After a good few years of relatively problem free service, my Panasonic AX100 has been displaying some of the 'quirks' it's been known for - mainly intermittent green flashes & slight purple and green tint at either side of the picture!

This has helped me decide to upgrade to a full HD projector, which I've been thinking about doing for a while. Has to be LCD as I do notice the 'rainbows' on DLP's and my budget is around £1000, maybe a little more.

After perusing the forums I'm leaning towards the Epson EH-TW6000. While 3D isn't of great importance to me (certainly not on TV's anyway) I would like the option to view certain real, shot in 3D films (Hugo for example) on a large screen - currently projecting approx 100" picture - and from reading the review here, this machine seems to perform well in both 2D & 3D.

A question about the mention of poor black levels in the review...I'm guessing that comparing them to those of my nearly 6yr old Panny, I will see a big improvement anyway, as the tech has obviously moved on quite a bit? So am I right in thinking I shouldn't be too concerned about this, particularly as I'm using the projector in the living room and not a fully blacked out dungeon?

The one other thing that concerns me is the lack of lens shift and I may have to use a little vertical keystone, which I know isn't ideal. How badly does vertical keystone affect the quality of the picture?

The TW6000 seems to be a good price at the moment at a couple of online stores and the inclusion of free 3D glasses + the offer of two extra pair from Epson only sweetens the deal. I'm thinking of buying in the next few days.

Sorry if I've rambled a bit, but I'd be grateful for some feedback on the keystone, black levels and generally how big a leap in overall quality can I expect compared to my Panny AX100?

Thanks in advance

CH

Well as you want 1080p 3D and LCD it's Hobson's choice so you may as well bite the bullet and get the TW6000.As far as black levels they will be better than your AX100 because as you say things have moved on.

It is a shame Epson have dropped lens shift from their cheaper models and that you need to spend £2.5k to get that feature with the TW9000.Using keystone will effect the image slightly but whether this will bother you depends on if you are a perfectionist or not.

I would not worry too much about this and just get on and enjoy the benefits of a new more up to date machine.

By the way a grey screen will make a good difference in your situation, black/contrast levels would be improved quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup:

Think I'll go for it. Shouldn't be any problem buying from Amazon should there?

I see amazons stock is from a german company which may or may not be a problem if anything goes wrong with it.

Sorry but they have 2 links for that pj one is their own stock and one is german,

Hi mate

Gave Ideal AV a call and they have just sold the last couple of TW6000's they had in stock! Had a chat to the guy - not sure if it was Allan or not - but he was helpful and also warned about Amazon's stock possibly being imports and therefore not having the full Epson UK warranty. He also said that he couldn't really match that price, which I'm not surprised at as it's the cheapest I've seen for this projector.

However, Superfi also have it at the same price and after checking their web-site and then speaking to them on the phone, I now have a brand new UK model TW6000 ordered for £1,105 inc. £5 delivery this Friday!

Seems like a great deal.

Good deal, glad you tried Allan, at least Superfi are a proper dealer unlike amazon they are just box shifters.

Crazyhorse, congratulations! I'm planning to snap up maybe this projector in the summer so if you can provide any feedback on gaming (input lag), setup, how it works in bright conditions using a grey screen and dark conditions using a grey screen.. i'd be eternally grateful!

Crazyhorse, congratulations! I'm planning to snap up maybe this projector in the summer so if you can provide any feedback on gaming (input lag), setup, how it works in bright conditions using a grey screen and dark conditions using a grey screen.. i'd be eternally grateful!

Hi mate, sorry for the slightly delayed reply.

I've not had as much free time as I expected this weekend, so only set the projector up this afternoon and had a (brief) bit of a play.

My old PS3 died on me and I don't have a grey screen, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help re your questions. But first impressions, with a fair bit of ambient light and out-of-the-box settings....WOW! Bright, detailed picture with nice blacks...but as I said before, I'm used to an older machine. Big improvement over my Panny though.

I'll have a better chance to adjust settings, etc. later tonight (after the footie's over :rolleyes: ) so I'm going to have a think about what film I'll christen this little beauty with! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom