Advice on upgrading KEF?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by curlywurly01, Sep 18, 2005.

1. curlywurly01

curlywurly01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have got 2 Kef Q7's in maple, 1 Kef Coda 80 Centre in Black Ash and 1 Kef PSW3000 - Im running them off a Yamaha RX-V640RDS - and i got some QED silver sprial for £10/m - Linking just to the main Kefs. I love music and films in a spontaneous type of way 50/50. My room is 4.97M by 3.61M square. Some people think that this space is too small for these large speakers - but i disagree. Bass - Im after that aww that i suppose most people are after and I have found the Kef PSW3000 to be adiquate for my needs but still can be overdriven rather easily with certain types of music/films. I suppose in my way of thinking - when a bass line is laid down from music/film - i just want to know its there - what i see as the imagary for what i am trying to explain is like a shockwave effect - i want to really know that its there - a song or two with really heavy bass lines that i want to experience with more bass - David Gray (Please Forgive Me) 4:15 Onwards - Billie Myers (Kiss The Rain) Original Intro - Motorcycle (As The Rush Comes) and A few DVDS Resident Evil 1 and 2 (Especially the start of Number 2 (There is a frequency that really makes anytype of speaker move ridicuiously and its at the start of the film when they are open up a large set of doors) And this nearly Screwed the KEF Sub - it was like watching a small animal choke and you rush to help it.

Im basically asking - what can i do to gain more bass, i dont mind if it is the addition of more speakers as i have room for another set of mains + 2 effects + a rear centre. Or anther sub Preferably A KEF PSW 4000 ETC - bare in mind that i have a double bed in this room too.

Id just like to know your opinions and suggestions if at all possible.

And if you really want to test your system to the limit the i suggest that you find a copy of Resident Evil 2 and see what I mean about the stupid movement of the speakers - which in my eyes seems totally unnecessary.

Im rather new to the Av forums – I just want to say that I have not actually paid much at all for the speakers above – I bought The Q7’s for £399 ex display from the flicks in Northern Ireland. The coda for £25 off eBay and the PSW3000 for £199.95 ex display from superfi – the Yamaha amp for £199.95 from superfi and the QED cable off eBay for £90 (2 x 3metre runs) + airlock terminations. So I will, want something that doesn’t spoil the décor of the speaker set if possible but if its not possible then im ok with having a brute moved into my house.

Also can members please try out the test above (resident evil 2 intro) but be forewarned – im not being blamed for any speaker damages – please could you report back to me as I want to know how other speaker types handle it –

thanks!!!!!!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    According to the manufacturer's specifications the KEF PSW3000 goes down to 30Hz whereas the true domain of sub bass that you can feel is around 20Hz and below.

I'm afraid that a bigger badder sub may be the solutions to your problem but the KEF PSW4000 is around £1,100 and I'm not sure that I would spend that amount on a KEF sub.

Have a look at SVS the forum favourite or the BK Monolith or even the B&W ASW750 all of which should outperform what you now have.

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I gotta agree. I am a long time lover of some of Kef stuff but their subwoofers really are quite mediocre compared to quite a few £1000 runners.

4. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KEF Specs are anechoic, (Not silly in room figures like 10Hz as used by some manufacturers).....

Add another sub, or experiment with the positioning of your PSW3000.

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    Going down the 2nd hand route may be the way to Nirvana.

I bought a 2nd hand Servo 15 approx 2 years ago on these forums. Never looked back. If you want something that will shake your foundations then this, along with offerings from SVS are the route to take at the affordable end of the market.

This has taken everything I've thrown at it in its stride, with plenty to spare. I've been more concerened about the integrity of my house than the sub :D

The old model Servo15 can probably be had for around £300 - £400 2nd hand.

The new model, now available in the UK is around £1400

6. curlywurly01

curlywurly01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya - ive got know idea about what SVS subs are like - i live in the midlands - uk and im only 16 - so people dont take me seriously when it comes to setting up expensive equipment like what your suggesting. Could you please enhance on the exact means of what your saying - svs subs arnt really mainstream i guess so ordering one in will be difficult - but i will try superfi on the subject - i just want to be able to turn up the system and not worry that the subs choking - i firstly bought a wharfedale PCDX-12 - what a big mistake - ID RATHER SLAM MY KNACKERS IN A DRAW THAN LISTEN TO THAT AGAIN. Then the kef is fine but still im finding it pretty underwhelming, not because of kef or the price, its brilliant for what i payed for it but its still lacking that certain something - that full on agression of being able to mull through anything that you feed it superbly. Thanks again.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    atm SVS subs have to be ordered in from the US, but soon they are going to be sold through dealers in some european countries.

i know what you mean about age, richer sounds are the worst, they assume i have no idea what im buying and try and sell me a VCR instead of a new amp! (disclaimer: that never actually happened, but you get the idea :D )

8. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,984
    Hi Curley

You really need a demo of an SVS sub to hear and feel what you are missing.There are at least 2 svs owners in SOT area who would oblige with a demo.If not I am in Wolverhampton and you could come and demo mine if no one closer offers.

9. curlywurly01

curlywurly01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the offer i might take you up on that but i dont know when i can really yet, have you got an email address by a chance? i would just like to quick fire some questions at you sometime if possible.

10. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,984
    Curley

Just pm'd you my e-mail address if you need it.