Advice on Upgrading Home Theater For Basement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by scruf, Dec 20, 2016.

1. scruf

scruf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to this forum and I am looking for advice on upgrading my current home theater to a new audio/video system that will go with Dolby Atmos. I currently have a Yamaha Rx_V663 receiver, A 50" Panasonic Plasma HDTV Model TH_50PZ800U ( which I plan on still using in new upgrade for the time being), and 5 Klipsch Quintet III satellite speakers with a Klipsch Synergy Sub 10. Right at this moment I want to concentrate on a In ceiling/Inwall speaker system. I have reviewed several brands, and there specifications. I need some advice on one particular brand the INWALL HD-650.1A. It looks to be a quality built ceiling speaker, however i am concerned with one spec. (the overall frequency response is listed as 40Hz -24,500Hz (+-9db). MOST BRANDS LIST THERE SPECS.AT (+-3db). Can anybody.advise me on this spec. and would it be a major difference/concern. All other specs look pretty good, I will list them to get others opinions. Woofer: 6.5 Provlar, with Butyl rubber surround, 1" voice coil, 22oz magnet with vented pole piece. Tweeter: 1" Pure Zelenium Dome, pivots 30 degrees, ferro-cooled, neodymium magnet wide dispersion design. Crossover: Phonalic Heavy Duty Reinforced PCB Board, Independant 12 db woofer and 12db tweeter section, Polymide auto protect over power reset automatic switch, Gold plated terminal post up to 14awg wire. (-3/0/+3db attenuation switch ) for independant controll of woofer and tweeter. Switchable 4-8 ohm switch. Sensitivity: 89db measured 1watt/1meter, Max power rating: 125 watts , Low frequency limit -3db :50Hz, Upper frequency limit: -3db: 25,000Hz the OVERALL FREQUENCY RESPONSE 40Hz-30,00Hz (+-9db) . This (+-9db) is what I am unsure off. Any advice on explaining thiswould be appreciated. Ps: I plan on upgrading to the Dennon AVR x-6300 or Yamaha Adventage Rx-A3060 reciever in the next 3 months. Ahy suggestions on these or other possible recievers in that dollar range??? thanks so much, Harry

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    -9dB is a fair fall in output and used to make the speaker look better than it is however buried in the data you said the -3dB lower limit is 50Hz. This is well below the 80Hz that is the usual recommendation as the crossover frequency hence they will be fine to use.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,494
    Are you planning to use the Klipsch speakers in the new 'Immersive' system?

Being a basement are Sound/Fire hoods a consideration for your In-ceiling speakers?

Joe

4. scruf

scruf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Thanks for the clarification, what's your input on the Yamaha Rx-3060 AVR and the Dennon x6300h AVR. Both look to be quality AVR's and I know that Dennon has setup for 7.1.4 while the Yamaha 3060 would need extra amplification to achieve 11 channels. I currently own A Yamaha RX-V663 and it has been and still is working, and sounding great. i am just wanting to go with a 7.1.4 configuration. I looked at many brands in the above AVR's price range and narrowed it down to these two, just can't decide. If you know of anything that would separate them apart give me a reply. Thanks for your help, Scruff

5. scruf

scruf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I am considering using speakers sold @ INWALLSTORE.COM. The Inwall HD-650.2w and HD-650.1Aalong with HD-650.1C . My basement has a drop ceiling, measures app. 28' wide by 40' long, at 7' 6" high. The whole area is open, I am using about 14' wide by 18 long for my Home Theater Area. The rest of area is used for game room ( pool table ,Air Hockey, ect) I unsure what Sound/Fire Hoods are. Are they in ceiling speakers?? If so do you have website that I can go to?

6. scruf

scruf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I am considering using speakers sold @ INWALLSTORE.COM. The Inwall HD-650.2w and HD-650.1Aalong with HD-650.1C . My basement has a drop ceiling, measures app. 28' wide by 40' long, at 7' 6" high. The whole area is open, I am using about 14' wide by 18 long for my Home Theater Area. The rest of area is used for game room ( pool table ,Air Hockey, ect) I unsure what Sound/Fire Hoods are. Are they in ceiling speakers?? If so do you have website that I can go to?

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Fire hoods are a fire resistant fabric that fits at the back of the inceiling speaker. It prevents fire spreading upwards from the basement and also prevents sound leaking to the room above.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,494
    'Home Theater Area' - v. difficult to create a decent 'surround' or 'immersive' experience in an open plan area.

'Sound/Fire Hoods' - as PSM1 says your local fire regulations may require that you maintain a fire barrier once you break through your ceiling and secondly open baffle loudspeakers (such as the model you link to) produce as much sound out of the rear of the speaker as they do from the front, adding a 'Can' stops sound leaking into rooms above and secondly can aid in focusing the sound into the listening room.

NOTE - worth reading the Inwallstore Blog as they advise against using any form of back box with their speakers, which would rule them out if local fire regs/general safety is a consideration! Here in the UK the home Insurers are beginning to insist Installers use Fire Hoods.

Sound/Fire Hoods - can add a significant cost to the overall budget when looking at low cost speakers, you may find a more expensive speaker with integral Fire/Sound Hoods is a better option. I'd talk it over with the folk at Inwallstore.

AVR - Features, Sound Signature all worth considering, personally I tend to go with Yamaha as they have always provided the most reliable kit and the best service (others may have a different experience).

Room - are you putting any 'secondary' speakers over the gaming 'zone'?

Joe

9. scruf

scruf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the update on fire hoods. I left email to inwall store about using fire hoods ,waiting for response. I can probably make my own type of fire protection.area that would not compromise sound. Yes, I will and a couple extra speaker in game area, I am considering the Yamaha because of this. Better zoning options. Thanks again for your help and input Scruf

10. scruf

scruf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info on fire hoods and the frequency response update. Scruf