Advice on upgrading gaming screen?

Hanger

Standard Member
Hi, new member here

I was looking at upgrading my PC screen, as my screen is just a basic one that I got with my setup.

this one here

8FFF4601-14B8-4B01-A284-6081CB94FC41.jpeg

Games like Hitman 3, look really bad on this monitor during dark scenes.

my pc specs at the moment are this

AF378E5F-D106-4A34-9EA0-9ABE0CF606A2.jpeg

I don’t mind spending a fair bit of cash on a new monitor, but only if my PC is good enough to make the most out of an expensive monitor.

So I’d just be interested in some recommendations from some of you more knowledgable guys, on which monitors are good. (Nothing over £1000)

I’d prefer one that is 32inch or above too.

Thanks in advance for any help 😊

next010

Distinguished Member
If you want decent black levels in a monitor then you need something with a VA type LCD panel.

Most of the stuff that is 32" will be 1440p or 2160p beyond your PC's capability to run games at that resolution unless they are quite old. There are a few 1080p models but reviews of these are poor from what I can see.

Check out this review of the Gigabyte CV27F its 1080p 165Hz VA type LCD monitor as something worth getting.

I'd recommend updating your GPU as well though those are in high demand at the moment due to semiconductor shortage. You can still run the display at 165Hz but don't expect to hit 165fps in games that are demanding, you can sacrifice details in some games to gain frame rate and the smoothness of higher FPS.

Hanger

Standard Member
If you want decent black levels in a monitor then you need something with a VA type LCD panel.

Most of the stuff that is 32" will be 1440p or 2160p beyond your PC's capability to run games at that resolution unless they are quite old. There are a few 1080p models but reviews of these are poor from what I can see.

Check out this review of the Gigabyte CV27F its 1080p 165Hz VA type LCD monitor as something worth getting.

I'd recommend updating your GPU as well though those are in high demand at the moment due to semiconductor shortage. You can still run the display at 165Hz but don't expect to hit 165fps in games that are demanding, you can sacrifice details in some games to gain frame rate and the smoothness of higher FPS.
Thanks mate I definitely like the look of that one, would prefer a slightly bigger one though if gigabyte do a bigger version. 27 is quite small especially with a curve in it.

I do intend to upg the gpu, but with the shortage on the market, I was going to wait in the hope the market gets back to normal once lockdowns ease.

So maybe I can wait til I have a more powerful GPU, before upgrading the screen. But this screen I have at the moment just makes some games look really bad 😂

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate I definitely like the look of that one, would prefer a slightly bigger one though if gigabyte do a bigger version. 27 is quite small especially with a curve in it.

I do intend to upg the gpu, but with the shortage on the market, I was going to wait in the hope the market gets back to normal once lockdowns ease.

So maybe I can wait til I have a more powerful GPU, before upgrading the screen. But this screen I have at the moment just makes some games look really bad 😂

There is the 32" Samsung Odyssey G7, it s a VA 1440p 240Hz monitor, it is quite expensive and will eat up a large part of your budget.

There is the cheaper low end G5 VA 1440p 144Hz in 32" as well, review of 27" here but the 32" should be similar.

A lot of VA panels are curved, flat only ones are rare made but there are some look at PC monitor info site they list panel type and curve if present in their reviews.

chillo

I just got a good deal on this Alienware 34” curved screen:

under £800 ex vat :)

Hanger

Standard Member
I was looking at the G7 if I’m honest as a possible option, I know it’s quite expensive but it does seem impressive. The curve is something I’m open to trying, but I’ve not gamed on a curved screen before.

That Alien one looks cool too, il definitely have a look into that one aswell. I’ve not really gamed on a wide style screen before so not sure, but definitely worth a look.

hopefully when the shops re open Il have a look at them up close.

thanks for all the help and advice 😊

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom