Advice On Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by markgfisher, Dec 22, 2017.

1. markgfisher

markgfisher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone,

I've had my current set up for approximately 18 years and whilst it all still works and doesn't sound too bad to me, i'm wondering whether it is time to start upgrading.

I have a Limit DJ2000B Turntable with a Stanton 500 cartridge that I've never changed, Synergy Hybrid Mixer (never use it for mixing), Ariston AX-910 Amplifier, JPW ML510 speakers and Technics SL-PG3 CD player .

I'm not looking to spend more than £500 on individual items, or do the whole lot in one go. Just feel like I need to start stepping it up and updating what I've got and don't want to go buying something that turns out to be a lower standard than what I've already got!

Any ideas on where to start first and any suggestions on what to upgrade to would be very welcome!

Thanks

Mark

1.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 2.jpg

2. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    I assume you are not planning on keeping a mixer in the chain (pointless if only a single deck)?

If vinyl is a priority, then most basic thing you could do to get more detail out of vinyl would be to ditch the spherical DJ stylus and get a decent cartridge with an elliptical stylus and re-align the deck. While the Stanton 500 is a solid cartridge for scratch/DJ use, its not something I have ever been a fan of for listening (personal preference has been ortofon as a compromise between DJ use and still sounding nice even if still lacking in the detail you would get from a good hifi cartridge at a similar price).

Next option up, replace the entire deck with a pure hi fi deck (mostly likely a basic, but clean sounding from rega for eg) - probably a much better than just upgrading the cartridge.

You have a couple of sources - is there any particular part of the system you feel most desperate to upgrade? What do you listen most to - vinyl, CD, other? Do you use net radio or streamed music sources? Have a NAS/playing digital music from a computer etc?

3. markgfisher

markgfisher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Definitely not interested in keeping the mixer, can I just ditch it from the system, or do I still need it as a pre amp? Not really sure how it works!

Vinyl is the priority, the cartridge was something I thought would need replacing but I’d got no idea how good it is or what to replace it with. Thanks for the info on different cartridges and stylus, had no idea about all that. Might have a look around at a new turntable, sounds like a good option.

The CD player and dab radio seem ok for now to be honest, it was mainly the turntable speakers and amplifier I was thinking of updating.

Are the speakers and amplifier a good standard? Wondered about those too.

I really have no idea how good or bad what I’ve got is!

Thanks a lot.

4. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    I know next to nothing about the items you have. There have however been a number of recent threads asking for turntable suggestion in this sub-forum and in each are some good suggestions that you may want have a look at. Also similar thread recently for phono stages (separate phono pre-amps) and for similar price range amps.

I believe that amp does not have a phono pre-amp (hence your use of the DJ mixer). Looking at the amp it kind of reminds me of an ancient version of Cambridge audio amp - maybe just coincidence. Either way, CXA-60 might be a logical replacement for it. As for the speakers, unless you plan on spending several hundred and assuming they are in decent working order, then may as well hang on to them for now.

If you want an amp with a built in phono pre-amp, then that will mean either continuing to use the mixer (which may compromise a new and better sounding turntable), or having to get it at the same time.

What may work better is getting a new turntable and a separate phono pre-amp together (Perhaps www.rega.co.uk who also make separate phono pre-amps). Having done that, then it would seem something from Cambridge audio (CXA-60 perhaps) would probably be the logical choice for an amp in future.

I have never used any of them, just heard decent things about them, hopefully someone with actual experience with these makes will chime in :)

5. Rich9600

Rich9600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I had a pair of JPW510i’s and have fond memories of them. I’d personally keep them for a while and put you’re money into a HiFi record player. As above, Rega have made good turn tables for many years and there are certainly plenty of used examples around.

The JPW510’s are detailed and tuneful, from my recollections, and unlikely to be your weakest link.