1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by johnu, Nov 18, 2002.

1. johnu

johnu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi im using a toshiba sd220e , yamaha ax 620 and mission 771e
    while av is fine, music is very bland with no bass

im considering adding a cd player and a stereo amp

the NAD 521 cd player and the NAD c320 stereo amp look like a bargain at richer soounds ...their newer versions the nad521i and nadc320bee all seem highly recommended....is there significant differences between these older and newer versions considering the major diff in price???

do you reckon that these older versions would be good enough for me to notice a significant improvement in music compared to my current system???
    I know that cheap sometimes cost more if the quality is niot there

thank you
    first timer

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I've little doubt that what you are thinking of would give some benefits to CD playback, I do doubt that it will give more bass. Better bass definition perhaps, but it's unlikely to be any deeper really.

Personally I'd look to your speakers first - the 771e are never going to be able to produce any deep bass.
    If you want more bass, IMO it's either going to be a speaker change, or add a decent subwoofer.

If music seems lacking in bass, I'm a bit surprised you find AV fine - DVDs are usually a lot more demanding in that dept.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    This is a fairly common question. A few considerations:

1. what style of music do you listen to.

2. what is your idea of good bass.

3. What size and shape is your listening room.

Adding a sub to your system would be the obvious and cheapest way to boost bass response, giving a more realistic Home Cinema experience. Try to get a loan of a good sub and try that out first.

If you want a more musical system, changing the cd and amp will produce a better sound, I would suggest you do a home dem with any equipment you are considering buying.

You might be suprised at the capabilities of the Missions, placed on decent stands, with good quality speaker cable and driven by a more up market amp and cd player.

Ultimately it comes down to your budget and how you want to evolve the system, there are no easy fixes, you need to try different combinations within your budget. Take your time choosing and get something that sounds good to your ears, dont be swayed by 5 star reviews and best buy tags.