NivBose

Novice Member
Hi

Currently my setup (living room) is Onkyo TX NR515 + Boston Acoustics 7.1 + Mission 70C2 Centre.

I'm planning to upgrade the receiver to SONY STR-DN1080. Do you think i should upgrade the speakers as well? If this speaker package is okay, can i get the Atmos work on it with proper placement?

Many thanks

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi

Currently my setup (living room) is Onkyo TX NR515 + Boston Acoustics 7.1 + Mission 70C2 Centre.

I'm planning to upgrade the receiver to SONY STR-DN1080. Do you think i should upgrade the speakers as well? If this speaker package is okay, can i get the Atmos work on it with proper placement?

Many thanks

FYI the Sony is 2017 model. It has some limitation with DTS:X and overhead speakers if i remember correctly and owners still reporting some bugs. I think 429£ is bit too high price for such old model, but the sad thing is there isn´t much to choose from and due to virus the prices of these products are so high. Onkyo has new models coming in June. Denon X2700H price will drop at some point closer to spring/summer, Yamaha RX-V6A probably less. Denon X1600H is good option though, 2019 model with extra features and newer connections.

There is many ways to get Atmos, you didn´t state will you be going for upfiring modules, overhead (in-ceiling /on-ceiling speakers) or height channels mounted high up on wall.

Assuming the first one so upfiring bounce type which is probably the easiest way where you place the moduls on top of your front main l/r speakers you should meet these "requirements" closely:

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material).

No need to change speakers if you like them. Some might argue that you should have at least front three from same brand/range, but if the tonal difference doesn`t bother you then enjoy.

NivBose

Novice Member
FYI the Sony is 2017 model. It has some limitation with DTS:X and overhead speakers if i remember correctly and owners still reporting some bugs. I think 429£ is bit too high price for such old model, but the sad thing is there isn´t much to choose from and due to virus the prices of these products are so high. Onkyo has new models coming in June. Denon X2700H price will drop at some point closer to spring/summer, Yamaha RX-V6A probably less. Denon X1600H is good option though, 2019 model with extra features and newer connections.

There is many ways to get Atmos, you didn´t state will you be going for upfiring modules, overhead (in-ceiling /on-ceiling speakers) or height channels mounted high up on wall.

Assuming the first one so upfiring bounce type which is probably the easiest way where you place the moduls on top of your front main l/r speakers you should meet these "requirements" closely:

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material).

No need to change speakers if you like them. Some might argue that you should have at least front three from same brand/range, but if the tonal difference doesn`t bother you then enjoy.
Thanks a lot for the detailed information. I was falling into the Sony side because of the Chromecast feature. I think i should look more into the Denon side.

Thanks again

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I have the Sony, it's an overall excellent AVR and the sound kicks above it's price.

However, as Gasp3621 states, it's an older model and has issues with DTS-X and Neural:X with overhead speakers.
It also has a "night mode" designed to compress audio range and be able to watch loud content at lower volumes by flattening the peaks of volume.
It doesn't work at all.
The GUI is very slow also.

In the time it's been out, Denon have replaced their similar model annually and the Sony is still soldiering on 3/4 years later. Sony's excuses for not fixing (what must be a very simple fix) the overhead type speakers has worn thin as well with them stating that it's not in the specs for DTS-X despite Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc all supporting it.

I like my Sony AVR, however, if it went phut I wouldn't replace it like for like or even with another Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom