1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on upgrade yam ax 620

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by johnu, Nov 17, 2002.

1. johnu

johnu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my system is nearly new....the chap at richer sounds convinced me that the yamaha ax 620 would be far better for both av and music than the marantz sr4200
    ive now got the yamaha, toshiba 220 se (which i use to play cds)
    and mission 771e and 77ds (no centre speakers??)
    while movies are great, music is very bland with little bass..
    How can i upgrade musically??
    1) obviously im thinking of buying a CD player???anypne has any suggestions???(150 pouns or less)

2) what hifi suggests using a dedicated stereo amp for the front speakers and an av receiver such as yam dsp e800 .....can i use my yamaha amp in a similar fashion as a receiver??what stereo amp ( 200 pounds or less) would result in significant improvement
    musicaally??

3) do you think a subwoofer would help signifoicantly ???

thanks a lot fot your advice...much appreciated
    First time buyer

2. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yam 630. Added a NAD C370 and could NEVER bear to listen to the 630 again for music again, not even for 5 minutes. Add another Marantz CD19/17 and I am hearing high-end in music for the 1st time.

3. johnu

johnu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks khong
    so you can just use the nad to power the front speakers and the yamaha to power the surrounds???
    is there any difference bet an amplifier and a receiver???

4. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you can hook up the NAD C370 integrated amp to power the front 2 speaker. Just use the Yam's pre-out into C370's AUX input. Do a search on this forum for details. You wouldn't regret it.

5. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Hi

Can I ask if you turn the volume up or down when watching a movie on the Yamaha, do you also have to do it on the NAD volume control?

Thanks

6. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    o.k. let me try to explain on movie playback. You got sound from the DVD into Yamaha into NAD into front 2 speaker. Obviously if the NAD's volume knob is set to zero, you got no sound from the front 2 speakers. Whereas the rest of the speakers (front center/rear speakers) got their power from the Yamaha would be producing sound. So you will have to turn up the NAD volume knob to a certain level (make a mark on the volume knob for reference) so that sound from ALL speakers has similar volume. So the next time you play movies again, you just automatically set the NAD's volume knob to that marking.

When you turn up the volume on the Yamaha, the sound signal level going into the NAD will increase accordingly so the front 2 speaker will also increase loudness automatically. Look at it as the NAD having a variable input from the Yamaha. Likewise if you turn the volume down. In another word, once you have set a mark on the NAD power knob, you never have to touch the NAD again. Everything is being controlled by the Yamaha.

It's not complicated really but if you absolutely wanted convienence, you could always buy the NAD C270 power amp. I tred that route but find that the Yamaha's pre-amp does have some impact on the sound quality. For pure music quality, get the C370 integrated.

Hope that helps.

7. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Hi thanks alot

I see how it works. You could set the NAD volume to 12 o'clock and then calibrate the output levels on the YAM

I was wondering if it would be possible to still use prologic II music with the Yam

Thanks for the advice

8. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I not sure you got it. You CALIBRATE the NAD volume knob to say...12 o'clock and make a mark there for reference. Then when playing movies, leave the NAD knob at 12 o'clock and never have to touch the NAD again. You just change movie's volume on the Yamaha and all speakers sound volume will change accordingly, including the sound volume from the front 2 speakers without you ever needing to do anything to the NAD.

One warning. Should you leave the NAD's volume at 12 o'clock and forget to turn it down and later on you started to play CD, you will get a shock at the loud sound volume coming out. And believe me, NAD are LOUD. Because of that risk and my forgetfullness, I calibrate mine at 10 o'clock which should be fine because NAD are a lot more powerful then Yamaha 630 anyway.

I have also tried Rotel but find the tone of the NAD a better match with the Yamaha. Furthermore, it's best to get something more powerful then the Yamaha for this sort of setup to avoid clipping.

9. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Hi thanks alot.

I understand it now. Just a question does the prologic II music still work on the Yamaha

Thanks

10. johnu

johnu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks konghh,

few more (probably stupid) questions :

do you connect your cd player to the stereo amp or the yamaha??

Im thinking to buy a new CD player ( may be the nad c521) and may be the NAD c320 stereo amp???these can be found quite cheap at richer sounds,,,,

Are these good and expensive enough for me to notice a significant improvement musically ??( im currently using toshiba sd220e dvd player and the yam 620)

Also is there a significant difference between the nad521 and the nad521i( 5stars in last what hifi) AND between the nadc320 and the new nad c320bee ( again 5 stars in what hifi)

the 2 older versions i mentionned are reduced at rs but obviosly i would only buy them if they are good as well...

Thanks
    johnu

11. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, whatever decoding being done by Yamaha would still be effective.

I have not heard the C320 et al. so couldn't comment. But I think you may need the C350 as minimum, mainly on power issue. I would say the C350 should also be a step up on the Yamaha. Be careful about auditioning. When I got my C270 & C370 for testing, I wasn't impressed initially. IMHO, it needs about 70-hrs break-in to iron out the treble harshness and higher frequency congestion. After that, it's a no-brainer to whoever heard my setup.

On dedicated CDP. I know almost everybody says a DVD is nowhere near a dedicated low-end CDP but in my case, I would have to disagree. I have tried a old dedicated CDP Marantz CD63SE vs my Sony DVP-NS700. On vocal, the CD63 are much better but on soundstage, details, dynamic, the CD63 are nowhere near my DVD. Read this review whereby I FULLY agree with the reviewers opinion. I have not heard the C521/C541 but am not too hopeful because NAD amp are already slightly veiled and so is the C541i that I read about. Veiled amp + veiled CDP doesn't sound attractive to me.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/nad-c541i-cd-player-10-2002.html

But I did try a Marantz CD19 (a step below CD17 and not available in U.K., I think) and I could honestly say it's into high-end terrority. I should know because I have heard some truly mega-buck setup before. It seems that NAD and Marantz have a thing for each other. I fail to get any 'high-end' taste with a very top model Sony that cost about twice the CD17. Bottom line, you can get good sound not based purely on price but on system synergy.

12. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I forgot. You connect your music source (DVD or CDP) direct into the NAD for music playback. That way, you totally by-pass the sound degrading effect of the AV receiver.

For DVD playback, you connect the DVD into the Yamaha by whatever mean you fancy, be it coaxia, optical or 5.1 input. That way, you get to utilize the Yamaha's DSP, DTS, PLII or whatever.

13. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    konghh

If you had 'disovered' the NADC370 first, what would you then have considered for the HC?

Ditton

14. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have thought of just sticking to 2-channel setup because with the C370+Marantz CD19, music sounded so good. Close your eyes and you are almost there. The atmosphere is soul stirring at times. DVD just couldn't do that to me so far. Watching DVD pictures are nice but the experience is so unreal. For eg. the drummer sounded to be on the left-hand side but the pictures of the drummer is right in the center of the telly. Your eye and ear are just getting conflicting signal. How unreal could you get? Even when I switched off the TV when playing music DVD on the Sony, I couldn't repeat what I am getting from the Marantz CDP. The experience is simply sterile and tasteless. I just stick to watching action movies on my HT. Now bombs are nice........and speeding bullets......

Having said that, I have seen and heard a DEDICATED HT room setup with full room treatment and they are also very good for music but then we are talking about mega-buck and what would the wife said?????