Advice on upgrade to XP

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Nick Cartwright, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I’m upgrading to Windows XP and I am anticipating problems. I would really like some advice on an idea I have.

I am thinking that it may be a good idea to invest in a new Hard Drive (I need one at some point anyway) and doing a complete clean install of XP. Then just using my old HDD as a secondary drive which I can use to just back up all my essential files (not that I have many) and keep all the downloaded programs I need (Power Strip, TT upgrades, dScaler etc.)

Does this sound like a good idea or can anyone see any pitfalls with it?

Also, what HDD recomandations do you have (if I wanted to record a few TV programs, how many hours can you get on say an 80gig drive?)
    Thanks

Nick

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Always do a clean install when 'upgrading' Windows.
    Otherwise you will encounter all sorts of problems.

You will need all the drivers for your mobo and cards (video, sound, etc.) before you start.
    A lot of the drivers you are using now with your current OS won't be compatible with XP.
    Create a folder on your current drive and store all of your drivers in that folder.
    Then when you start to install XP to your new drive, you can just navigate to the other drive for the files.

You will also need to download any updates/patches to your current software as a lot of it may not be compatible with XP.

I would recommend a 200GB Seagate Barracuda for your new drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM - ST3200822A.
    They can be picked up for about £80 from ebuyer: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59736

3. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Brogan,

Most of my hardware has recently been upgraded so I should have XP drivers for all of them to get me going, then I cna download the latest drivers once I finally get Broadband!

I'm not loking forward to the upgrade at all.

I read somewhere on this forum that XP complains about big drives when installing, is this true?
    Would it be better to make a copy of everything to the new drive and install on the 40 gig drive?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agree with Brogan, your plan to do a cold-install is the best idea, making your existing system a secondary also excellent as it makes transferring bits and pieces you need so much easier.

For a disk, the Seagate Brogan mentions is very good, and I have one myself, however Seagates have [to me] an annoying habit of going into frenetic 'clicking' after a period of idle .. this happens on my 200G as well as 2 120G Seagates so I assume it's a 'design feature' :)

As an alternative, and something even quieter than the Seagate, I have a Samsung 120Gb and would recommend that in an HTPC. Not being into PVR myself 'fraid I can't say how many hours recording you get per Gb.

BTW, depending on your technical abilities and requirements, you may want to produce a home-made 'slipstream XP + SP2' installation CD .. details of how to do that can be found at Winbeta, it'll be easier than patching with SP2 later.

Edit: re: big drives, there is a problem I believe installing onto disks >137Gb since at that stage you don't have BigLBA support, my 200G was added on-the-fly as a secondary and 'just worked' so adding one seems easy enough.

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Neither was I which is why I put it off for years.
    I had spent a long time tweaking Win ME and my installed apps until they were exactly how I wanted them and now I have to start all over again :rolleyes: