Advice on upgrade to home cinema speakers please,

Attachments

• 20230117_182344.jpg
    20230117_182344.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 73
The new speakers arrived today I was going to wall mount them but not sure I might get some stands
Imo these are far to gorgeous to wall mount. They definitely deserve some stands to show them off 😊

…As regards the positioning of S50’s I’m going to put some shelving in the alcoves so they can sit on them 👍
If you have to place your speakers on a shelf, I really recommend these…

ISO Acoustics Mini Pucks…

I wish these were available when I used to have my old centre speaker on a cabinet.

I use them now between my speakers and stands in my home theatre & stereo systems. They’re absolutely superb at isolating your shelves from the speakers and vice versa.

If your shelves aren’t isolated, they will effectively become part of the speaker, and the shelves will likely have specific resonance modes that will become excited at certain frequencies that will be noticeable.

I personally think these pucks are really worth it, and IMO they seem to make the speaker look smarter, rather than just sitting directly on the shelf or stand.

That’s a really super set of speakers you’ve got there. IMO investing in speakers is worth it. The electronics, especially AVR’s and streamers can be outdated pretty quickly, but good quality speakers are always good quality speakers: it’s likely these speakers will easily outlive your AVR, set top box and Bluray player. And whatever people think about Monitor Audio’s sound, their Silver, Radius and Apex ranges are some of the most solidly built and beautifully finished speakers anywhere near their price range.

I had to go for DALI Rubicon 2’s (effectively comparable to the much pricier MA Gold series) to get the same cabinet quality of MA Silver range. The cheaper DALI Opticons are on a par cabinet quality wise with MA Bronze.

So MA are super quality for the money. And their new centre C250 is a considerable upgrade on the previous generation C150.

Imo these are far to gorgeous to wall mount. They definitely deserve some stands to show them off 😊
I was thinking the same the only issue is the RH speaker is right next to the kitchen door and I've got 3 young grand children who run around and I'm a bit concerned they knock it over. I'm very pleased with the speakers it had ex demo display on the box I can't see any marks on them and the speaker covers have never been out of the boxes. I only ordered them yesterday with free delivery

The new speakers arrived today I was going to wall mount them but not sure I might get some stands
They really are stunning looking speakers. Very smart indeed sir!

They really are stunning looking speakers. Very smart indeed sir!
I'm very pleased with them ex demo display for £350 I saved £200 on the new new price

That’s a really super set of speakers you’ve got there. IMO investing in speakers is worth it. The electronics, especially AVR’s and streamers can be outdated pretty quickly, but good quality speakers are always good quality speakers: it’s likely these speakers will easily outlive your AVR, set top box and Bluray player. And whatever people think about Monitor Audio’s sound, their Silver, Radius and Apex ranges are some of the most solidly built and beautifully finished speakers anywhere near their price range.

I had to go for DALI Rubicon 2’s (effectively comparable to the much pricier MA Gold series) to get the same cabinet quality of MA Silver range. The cheaper DALI Opticons are on a par cabinet quality wise with MA Bronze.

So MA are super quality for the money. And their new centre C250 is a considerable upgrade on the previous generation C150.

As an owner of some of the last 6th Gen Silvers (I have both the 300's and 100's in 2 different systems), along with a pair of FX's as rears. I agree with these sentiments. Completeing my love of this range is the legendary C350.

It's not until you see them "in the flesh" you realise how stunningly well made they are. It's not all style over substance though as they sound just ad phenomenal imo.

As an owner of some of the last 6th Gen Silvers (I have both the 300's and 100's in 2 different systems), along with a pair of FX's as rears. I agree with these sentiments. Completeing my love of this range is the legendary C350.

It's not until you see them "in the flesh" you realise how stunningly well made they are. It's not all style over substance though as they sound just ad phenomenal imo.
Bit off topic but how do you compare the 100’s to the 300’s?

I would imagine they each excel at different things?

And have you ever heard the 200’s too?

I'll have to stop reading and commenting on these threads I've just ended up buying a pair of monitor audio silver 7g nearly new from av.com for £350 to replace my 2 front radius 90's now I'll keep my eyes open for a open box or mint condition siver c250 7g but I'm not paying nearly £600 for a new one.
I paid £430 for my c250 7G new there is room for negotiation with retailers on the centre speaker oh and some sennheiser cx wireless headphones!

Last edited:
I paid £430 for my c250 7G new there is room for negotiation with retailers on the centre speaker oh and some sennheiser cx wireless headphones!
Thanks that's good to know people have them on sale second hand for more than that could you point me in the direction of the dealer you got it from

Thanks that's good to know people have them on sale second hand for more than that could you point me in the direction of the dealer you got it from
Sevenoaks sound and vision, nintronics we’re going to do it for £440 with the rel subwoofer I think that’s why they did a price beat / match I was buying the silver 100’s as well so I think that helped

from what I was told they have higher margins on the centre speakers so more room for negotiation

Sevenoaks sound and vision, nintronics we’re going to do it for £440 with the rel subwoofer I think that’s why they did a price beat / match I was buying the silver 100’s as well so I think that helped

from what I was told they have higher margins on the centre speakers so more room for negotiation
Thanks for your help I think I'll have to let the dust settle with the wife before I get the centre I was going to wall mount but I think a pair of stands is the way to go

If you have to place your speakers on a shelf, I really recommend these…

ISO Acoustics Mini Pucks…

I wish these were available when I used to have my old centre speaker on a cabinet.

I use them now between my speakers and stands in my home theatre & stereo systems. They’re absolutely superb at isolating your shelves from the speakers and vice versa.

If your shelves aren’t isolated, they will effectively become part of the speaker, and the shelves will likely have specific resonance modes that will become excited at certain frequencies that will be noticeable.

I personally think these pucks are really worth it, and IMO they seem to make the speaker look smarter, rather than just sitting directly on the shelf or stand.

@Hoku cheers for that, that’s helpful and I’ll certainly take a look- it’s reassuring to hear I’ve spent a lot (for me) but got some good gear,
just rears to sort and sub next 🙈🙈🙈

Mmm- do I match to the silver 100 or the apex a40 centre……

Hope you had a look of the dimensions so wife won`t freak out when she seems them! :laugh: This is going to be such a dramatic upgrade in terms of sound quality, scale/weight/dynamics etc. compared to those tiny Boses. And not just for movies cause music will sound completely different aswell and you might find yourself doing that lot more than earlier. I hope you can start saving for the new subwoofer right away!

Affordable Matte and gloss white stands which has decent sized top plate for the S100:

The other models will cost roughly 170£/pair and up with larger top plates.
@Gasp3621 looking at these do you not think the top plates would be to small? That 100 does have a large footprint?

Thanks for your help I think I'll have to let the dust settle with the wife before I get the centre I was going to wall mount but I think a pair of stands is the way to go
I was considering a trade in c350 6g but when I got the price down on the c250 centre I jumped at it. I’m sure ex display ones will come up when you’re ready

@Gasp3621 looking at these do you not think the top plates would be to small? That 100 does have a large footprint?

Yeah i know, but that is probably as good as it gets unless you want to pay nearly 4x price with much larger top plate. You can always put some blu tack under the speakers or some white narrow stickers that goes over the speakers and secures them to stands, but it might not look as nice.. Shame they don´t offer larger top plates for extra cost.

Your right I've just ordered a pair of stands in gloss black the one's @Gasp3621 recommend

As regards sub what would you say would match well and what would you say rears- but don’t get me wrong they will have to wait 😂😂

@dion 6 listed good options for you in post #6 especially the 1205 is going for low price 449£ (new model 850£) and comparable SVS SB2000 costs 699£! Sadly if you aren`t buying now you might miss the deal.

If you want white finish to match speakers then you need to negotiate with av.com that they price match the SB1000 gloss white to gloss black as currently there is 200£ price difference which must be typo as it doesn`t make any sense.

@Hoku mentioned BK Electronics and example the P12-PR would be something to consider for 530£! Available in white with white or black grille! @Jester1066 has actually owned this so he can comment it more if the size/price seems ok.

Attachments

• P12-300SB-PR_Front_PR_450.jpg
    P12-300SB-PR_Front_PR_450.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 56
  • P12-300SB-PR_White_WG_450.jpg
    P12-300SB-PR_White_WG_450.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Bit off topic but how do you compare the 100’s to the 300’s?

I would imagine they each excel at different things?

And have you ever heard the 200’s too?
I demo'd all models in store (well 4 technically, as I also did the 50's) - with an Audiolab 6000A As i use this the same amp as part of my HT setup. I then did a further home demo of the 100's and 300's Briefly, here are my main takeaways of the differences:

50's - Despite being small, the bass on these was more than I thought it would be. Although, you'd definitely want to pair with at least 1 sub, especially in larger rooms and or a HT setup.

100's - For pure bass reproduction, speed and tightness. These are imo one of the best standmount speakers I've heard imo. I couldn't believe the depth of bass they produced and was convinced that the store was running a hidden subwoofer with them! Only when I did a further home demo did I realise they weren't!

200's - I actually found these surprisingly underwhelming - although I did demo them after the 100's so that may have skewed my judgement somewhat.

300's - Much better bass (similar to the 100's.). The biggest difference though was the additional mid range tweeter, matching the C350. For vocals this had a significant impact.

I'll caveat the above thoughts with the following though:

I initially didn't demo the 300's (as when I was looking to purchase, they were out of my budget). Since I knew:

1. I was going to be using the speakers in a dual use system 50/50 music to movies

2. Was using dual subs (purely for the HT side), not for stereo music - handled by my 6000A

I chose the 100's - as I felt (for music), they had sufficient bass to not need to Implement the sub(s). Which to do would have needed a MiniDSP or the like. For movies, my dual subs would handle the LFE.

I then had the opportunity to secure a fantastic deal on the 300's later (after the new 7G's came out). I'd always wanted to see how matching 3 way speakers would sound across my LCR (having already got the C350(.. So I took the plunge and got the 300's. This was the best thing I chose to do. It's resulted in a completely seemless front stage for movies and vocals have never sounded so good!

The 300's are also great (and can hold their own without a sub) for 2 channel music too. That mid range tweeter really does add to the overall sound. Put it this way, I'll never buy 2 way speakers (for my main system) again!

I'll also add, I've kept the 100's and currently use them in a basic 2 channel bedroom system. Although my OH, keeps nagging me to get smaller speakers as they are rather large! But I just can't bring myself to part with them, for fear of regret! 🤣

Last edited:
I demo'd all models in store (well 4 technically, as I also did the 50's) - with an Audiolab 6000A As i use this the same amp as part of my HT setup. I then did a further home demo of the 100's and 300's Briefly, here are my main takeaways of the differences:

50's - Despite being small, the bass on these was more than I thought it would be. Although, you'd definitely want to pair with at least 1 sub, especially in larger rooms and or a HT setup.

100's - For pure bass reproduction, speed and tightness. These are imo one of the best standmount speakers I've heard imo. I couldn't believe the depth of bass they produced and was convinced that the store was running a hidden subwoofer with them! Only when I did a further home demo did I realise they weren't!

200's - I actually found these surprisingly underwhelming - although I did demo them after the 100's so that may have skewed my judgement somewhat.

300's - Much better bass (similar to the 100's.). The biggest difference though was the additional mid range tweeter, matching the C350. For vocals this had a significant impact.

I'll caveat the above thoughts with the following though:

I initially didn't demo the 300's (as when I was looking to purchase, they were out of my budget). Since I knew:

1. I was going to be using the speakers in a dual use system 50/50 music to movies

2. Was using dual subs (purely for the HT side), not for stereo music - handled by my 6000A

I chose the 100's - as I felt (for music), they had sufficient bass to not need to Implement the sub(s). Which to do would have needed a MiniDSP or the like. For movies, my dual subs would handle the LFE.

I then had the opportunity to secure a fantastic deal on the 300's later (after the new 7G's came out). I'd always wanted to see how matching 3 way speakers would sound across my LCR (having already got the C350(.. So I took the plunge and got the 300's. This was the best thing I chose to do. It's resulted in a completely seemless front stage for movies and vocals have never sounded so good!

The 300's are also great (and can hold their own without a sub) for 2 channel music too. That mid range tweeter really does add to the overall sound. Put it this way, I'll never buy 2 way speakers (for my main system) again!

I'll also add, I've kept the 100's and currently use them in a basic 2 channel bedroom system. Although my OH, keeps nagging me to get smaller speakers as they are rather large! But I just can't bring myself to part with them, for fear of regret! 🤣
That's a really useful summary of the Silver range.

I have a long history with MA as I bought MA R252's back in the late 80's as my first 'proper' speakers. They are perhaps the spiritual ancestor to the Silver 100's as they were fairly large standmounts. Slightly smaller midbass, much larger cabinet.
Also owned several from Radius, Apex and Gold series and currently have Silver FX's for my surrounds in combination with DALI Rubicon front 3.

But I do think the Silver series is the sweet spot in MA's range in terms of quality of cabinets and drivers vs price.

But your comments are very interesting, so many thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed response.

Hi @Jester1066 I took your advice about the stands I've just got them sent up from this to this

Attachments

• 20220927_182324.jpg
    20220927_182324.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230120_205151.jpg
    20230120_205151.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 62
Hi @Jester1066 I took your advice about the stands I've just got them sent up from this to this
Yep...

Definitely better on stands 😊

Now. Just move them (and the centre) foward so they are level with the edge of your TV cabinet 😉😛👍🏼...

You must be delighted with the new look!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom