Advice on upgrade to home cinema speakers please,

Cheers @dion 6 i ordered 50m of that today, what bananas would you recommend or stay bare cable?
I also need to get some hdmi , optical , both 5 metres long- any recommendations
Thank you
For bananas I use these:

I get all my HDMI, & optical cables from this company. Their "Premium" - which I have - (and i think Pro) range comes with a lifetime warranty - which is why I buy them personally.

There's also the cheaper Amazon Basics range. Good quality and lots of happy AVF users.

All my cables are less then 5m. If needing 5m you might want to consider an active fibre HDMI cable (to avoid any potential picture/ sound dropouts). I've not got a specific recommendation for one though, as I don't (need to) use them.

Here's more info on the max lengths for tramitting a 4K single over HDMI:

Edit: A standard optical cable is fine though.

Last edited:
It might be too late, but have you considered extending the media wall and fitting in wall speakers? Mine is the other way around to yours, on a 3.5m long wall with us sitting at the long side (5m). It’s a 5.1.2 setup with 2 monitor audio CT240 ceiling speakers and tiny Monitor audio radius 45 as rears (solid wall so no chance of in-wall there). I had monitor audio W180 as the in-wall fronts, but some M&K sound IW95’s came up very cheap second hand just as I was altering the wall to fit a larger 77” TV, so I gave them a go as they were slimmer and easier to fit into the void behind.

I have a BK double gem sub in white, which is quite slim as it’s 2 10” drivers vertically. I wouldn’t quite say it looks part of the furniture but it’s less obtrusive than a massive box and easier to place.

View attachment 1810248

View attachment 1810249
Very nice, but no way the Mrs will let me make the media wall any bigger 🙈
For bananas I use these:

I get all my HDMI, & optical cables from this company. Their "Premium" - which I have - (and i think Pro) range comes with a lifetime warranty - which is why I buy them personally.

There's also the cheaper Amazon Basics range. Good quality and lots of happy AVF users.

All my cables are less then 5m. If needing 5m you might want to consider an active fibre HDMI cable (to avoid any potential picture/ sound dropouts). I've not got a specific recommendation for one though, as I don't (need to) use them.

Here's more info on the max lengths for tramitting a 4K single over HDMI:

Edit: A standard optical cable is fine though.
Hi @Jester1066
So I think I’ll get away with 3m then, just looked at that website and couldn’t see the one you was talking about with a lifetime guarantee- see as many now cary audio via arc I may not need the optical ??
Ref the bananas plugs would you recommend them at amp end and speaker ends??
Cheers

Very nice, but no way the Mrs will let me make the media wall any bigger 🙈

Hi @Jester1066
So I think I’ll get away with 3m then, just looked at that website and couldn’t see the one you was talking about with a lifetime guarantee- see as many now cary audio via arc I may not need the optical ??
Cheers
I've used the same banana as @Jester1066 recommended I would definitely use them at the avr end I label mine just incase you need to take the avr out it makes it easier to reconnect. Everybody got there opinions on hdmi cables there's a thread on the forum that's been going for year's me personally I always used amazon basics and never had a problem aslong as its 3m or under

Hi Gasp,

That all makes absolute sence- I’ve ordered a second hand a40 for the centre today, where have you seen the best price new for the s50 7g ???
And thank you for your help- pics attached media wall looks off as none of the edges are squared off yet 🙈🙈

I haven`t found any ex-demo/open box white Silver 50 7G so the prices you see with dealers are same, but you should call few shops and ask can they offer you better deal! Let`s say Richer Sounds, Hifix, Seven Oak Sound Vision, Peter Tyson and Audio T for starters. At the same time you can ask if they have any open box / ex-display pairs available. I only found white Silver 100 7G for 570£, but they are too large for you.

Few thoughts / questions

- A40 should be mounted below the tv if possible as you have just about right amount of space available!

- For S50 7G where exactly you planned to mount them in the alcoves? The current Bose speakers each side are mounted way too high. The ideal height for the new front main speakers would be close to the A40 level so the tweeters would be roughly at seated ear level and not high up near ceiling! I would also make sure they wouldn´t go too close to tv or the sidewalls horizontally so something between to find good compromise visually aswell.

- Surround speakers can be placed higher on the side walls and aimed down and that seems to be your only option with the mirror taking lot of space at rear wall and pictures/door at side walls, but i would also have them at identical height each side as the Boses aren´t now. I guess something small and preferably from Monitor Audio. Naturally A10 pair would be ideal, but they are fairly deep/bulky with the table stand used as wall bracket. If not issue then keep on eye of used white pairs!

D-line trunking to hide wires if required:

img_3824-jpg.837751

image-3930294603-jpg.322211

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Here's what I use:

They also have an ebay shop. Although as mentioned the Amazon Basics will do the same job.

If you use ARC you won't need optical.

Cheers
Agree with Dion 6 - definately usle them and the amp end for sure. I'd probably go bare wire on the speaker ends in your setup, since most of your speakers are wall mounted.

*Apologies for the mega early post. My 2 girls were up (unusually) earlier, since it's the start of a school week!

Last edited:
I'll have to stop reading and commenting on these threads I've just ended up buying a pair of monitor audio silver 7g nearly new from av.com for £350 to replace my 2 front radius 90's now I'll keep my eyes open for a open box or mint condition siver c250 7g but I'm not paying nearly £600 for a new one.

I haven`t found any ex-demo/open box white Silver 50 7G so the prices you see with dealers are same, but you should call few shops and ask can they offer you better deal! Let`s say Richer Sounds, Hifix, Seven Oak Sound Vision, Peter Tyson and Audio T for starters. At the same time you can ask if they have any open box / ex-display pairs available. I only found white Silver 100 7G for 570£, but they are too large for you.

Few thoughts / questions

- A40 should be mounted below the tv if possible as you have just about right amount of space available!

- For S50 7G where exactly you planned to mount them in the alcoves? The current Bose speakers each side are mounted way too high. The ideal height for the new front main speakers would be close to the A40 level so the tweeters would be roughly at seated ear level and not high up near ceiling! I would also make sure they wouldn´t go too close to tv or the sidewalls horizontally so something between to find good compromise visually aswell.

- Surround speakers can be placed higher on the side walls and aimed down and that seems to be your only option with the mirror taking lot of space at rear wall and pictures/door at side walls, but i would also have them at identical height each side as the Boses aren´t now. I guess something small and preferably from Monitor Audio. Naturally A10 pair would be ideal, but they are fairly deep/bulky with the table stand used as wall bracket. If not issue then keep on eye of used white pairs!

D-line trunking to hide wires if required:

img_3824-jpg.837751

image-3930294603-jpg.322211
Thanks @Gasp3621
I don’t think I’ll have the option of the centre going below as a big piece of oak mantel is going there to give the fireplace more character so I don’t think I’ll have the room,
As regards the positioning of S50’s I’m going to put some shelving in the alcoves so they can sit on them 👍
Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ha ha, @dion 6 what colour did you get, I need white ones 🙈
Gloss black to match the rest of my speakers I'm keeping the radius 90's I've got for rears I'll sell the 2 fronts and the radius 200 centre when I get a new centre and after that I'm done hopefully

Thanks @Gasp3621
I don’t think I’ll have the option of the centre going below as a big piece of oak mantel is going there to give the fireplace more character so I don’t think I’ll have the room,
As regards the positioning of S50’s I’m going to put some shelving in the alcoves so they can sit on them 👍
Thanks

That`s a shame regarding the centre, but if you are 100% certain it won´t fit then tilting it down as much as the bracket allows. I`m hoping you can at least get the S50 at the ideal height on the shelves, just need to ask wife to measure your ear height from floor when you sit and then you have idea where the S50 tweeters should be at.

Give the dealers a call and you can start the conversation asking about white open box S50 7G and then if not available ask what kind of discount they would offer for new pair. Now there is S100 7G white for 450£ which is superb deal considering the 799£ RRP price, but they are way to large & bass heavy to be mounted on wall. If you would have space for white speaker stands on the alcoves then of course these would be amazing!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The Silver 100 7g @Gasp3621 highlighted and the C250 centre would be fantastic

That`s a shame regarding the centre, but if you are 100% certain it won´t fit then tilting it down as much as the bracket allows. I`m hoping you can at least get the S50 at the ideal height on the shelves, just need to ask wife to measure your ear height from floor when you sit and then you have idea where the S50 tweeters should be at.

Give the dealers a call and you can start the conversation asking about white open box S50 7G and then if not available ask what kind of discount they would offer for new pair. Now there is S100 7G white for 450£ which is superb deal considering the 799£ RRP price, but they are way to large & bass heavy to be mounted on wall. If you would have space for white speaker stands on the alcoves then of course these would be amazing!

@Gasp3621 and @dion 6 i have gone with the silver 100 white as you mentioned above, Gasp what stands would you recommend?
@dion 6 i already have the A40 centre in white on order now,
So next will be rears and later sub 🙈

@Gasp3621 and @dion 6 i have gone with the silver 100 white as you mentioned above, Gasp what stands would you recommend?
Your definitely getting there now 👍

@dion 6 yes but will I finish it before divorce 😂😂
Your getting some good gear from day one this is 2 soundbars and the third set of speakers for me and every time I get some new gear my wife says please no more hole's in the walls or ceiling, just some new wall brackets and that's it.

Your getting some good gear from day one this is 2 soundbars and the third set of speakers for me and every time I get some new gear my wife says please no more hole's in the walls or ceiling, just some new wall brackets and that's it.
Ha Childs play....

My OH "lived with"...

2x SVS SB2000 Pro's, Silver C350, FX's and 300's. in boxes in various rooms (mainly our bedroom), during my major living room refit. Granted it was mainly caused by delays due to the covid pandemic outbreak, but still! 🤣🤣😉😉

Edir: I Do though agree with you regarding @lunderdown getting some great gear! 🙂

Hope you had a look of the dimensions so wife won`t freak out when she seems them! :laugh: This is going to be such a dramatic upgrade in terms of sound quality, scale/weight/dynamics etc. compared to those tiny Boses. And not just for movies cause music will sound completely different aswell and you might find yourself doing that lot more than earlier. I hope you can start saving for the new subwoofer right away!

Affordable Matte and gloss white stands which has decent sized top plate for the S100:

The other models will cost roughly 170£/pair and up with larger top plates.

Ha Childs play....

My OH "lived with"...

2x SVS SB2000 Pro's, Silver C350, FX's and 300's. in boxes in various rooms (mainly our bedroom), during my major living room refit. Granted it was mainly caused by delays due to the covid pandemic outbreak, but still! 🤣🤣😉😉

Edir: I Do though agree with you regarding @lunderdown getting some great gear! 🙂
Ha- @Jester1066 and @dion 6 im glad to be joining the happy wife’s club 👍
@Gasp3621 my shelving/ sideboard in my alcove is going to be 44cm width across by 170cm length and 4.5cm thick so quite chunky- it says in the write up for monitor audio they can be used as book case speakers, I wonder will they work ok sat on the above sideboard? This would clean things up a lot and I have the dimensions ? This will be at ear height both sides of media wall,
As regards sub what would you say would match well and what would you say rears- but don’t get me wrong they will have to wait 😂😂

Ha- @Jester1066 and @dion 6 im glad to be joining the happy wife’s club 👍
@Gasp3621 my shelving/ sideboard in my alcove is going to be 44cm width across by 170cm length and 4.5cm thick so quite chunky- it says in the write up for monitor audio they can be used as book case speakers, I wonder will they work ok sat on the above sideboard? This would clean things up a lot and I have the dimensions ? This will be at ear height both sides of media wall,
As regards sub what would you say would match well and what would you say rears- but don’t get me wrong they will have to wait 😂😂

As long as the shelving is sturdy enough to hold 10kg and deep enough as you want to leave space behind the speakers. Monitor Audio recommends minium of 20cm, but perhaps you can go slightly closer if you mostly watch movies (crossed at 80hz) as when you have subwoofer you won´t run them as full range (Speaker size Large -> Small). You also have XT32 on the Denon which is probably going to clean up the bass region as you get some boundary gain for low frequencies the closer the speaker is to wall and the Silver 100 has 8" drivers so not bass shy to begin with.

They have 332mm depth and when you consider leaving the 10-15cm min space behind how does they look on the shelving then? Probably look more natural with white stands, but really up to you. One member bought them one week ago and placed on top of av-unit which he showed to me. Not small by any means. However as they will go on the alcoves hopefully about mid points of them and even if they are fairly deep + space behind they still won´t come in-room too much just more in line with A40.

PS. I have asked the member post picture here or via PM so you see the size of S100 in-room top of av-unit!

got them just before Christmas and they seem to be perfectly happy sat where they are. I got silver 100, silver c250 and silver fx inn walnut. Got an amazing deal on ex display 100 and new c250 7g and ex display FX 6G

Oh and I went for a rel ht1205 subwoofer again got a great deal on ex display but nintronics have got a good price on a new one. I did toy with a Monoprice when they were on sale but very happy with my rel and don’t have any of the size issues of the Monoprice

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom