Advice on upgrade path

Shark2016

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, hoping that you can help.

I currently have a Bluesound Node 2i going into a Yamaha RX-V485 with Yamaha NSF 51 fronts,
Yamaha NSC 51 centre & Yamaha NSB 51 rears.

Because of financial constraints I'm planning on replacing the fronts with either Elac Debut F5.2's or Q Acoustics 3050i's & then, at a later date, replace the receiver with a Cambridge CXA81.

I'd keep my sub, I.e. Yamaha NS-SW100.

All of my music is on either USB Drive, flac , which is plugged into the Node or from Tidal Hi-fi, RCA into receiver which I play using the Straight program.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

My idle thoughts for the home cinema replacement depending on reviews, specs, etc is the Klipsch Cinema 1200.

Cheers,

Grant

Are you playing multi channel music or just stereo? If stereo music only, why the home cinema based system?

The sub will be the weak point, as it won't go particularly low and is not that powerful either. If home cinema and low bass with music is of importance, I would add that to the upgrade list.

Stereo music and home cinema tend to have very different requirements and certainly at the budget end of the market doing both well is not easy. Most avrs don't sound great in stereo mode and an equivalent priced stereo integrated amp will bury them.

First decision is therefore what your system priorities are.

Are you playing multi channel music or just stereo? If stereo music only, why the home cinema based system?

The sub will be the weak point, as it won't go particularly low and is not that powerful either. If home cinema and low bass with music is of importance, I would add that to the upgrade list.

Stereo music and home cinema tend to have very different requirements and certainly at the budget end of the market doing both well is not easy. Most avrs don't sound great in stereo mode and an equivalent priced stereo integrated amp will bury them.

First decision is therefore what your system priorities are.
Thanks for the reply.

I'll look into a replacement sub then.

I was using the receiver for both Home Theatre & stereo, originally but agree that I need to have one solution for music & one for home theatre.

So, you think my music solution would be good with a better sub?

Cheers,

Grant

Subs in stereo systems provoke a lot of debate.

My experience is that even the best hifi speakers can benefit from a decent sub, as they do add an extra half octave or so of bottom end. However, if your musical tastes don't include music that needs that level of low end extension, then the argument might not be as valid.

Lots of people without a sub will tell you that they don't need it, but it's amazing how many change their mind once they hear a system with a decent, musical sub.

A better sub may underpin the bass a little better on music. The real benefit will be as part of a 5.1 system. No AV amp is going to be as good at stereo music over a comparably priced stereo amp.

Subs in stereo systems provoke a lot of debate.

My experience is that even the best hifi speakers can benefit from a decent sub, as they do add an extra half octave or so of bottom end. However, if your musical tastes don't include music that needs that level of low end extension, then the argument might not be as valid.

Lots of people without a sub will tell you that they don't need it, but it's amazing how many change their mind once they hear a system with a decent, musical sub.
Any suggestions for a sub that would be of a comparable price/level?

Cheers,

Grant

A better sub may underpin the bass a little better on music. The real benefit will be as part of a 5.1 system. No AV amp is going to be as good at stereo music over a comparably priced stereo amp.
Yes, I've read the debates and agree with you. Any suggestions on sub for the stereo?

Cheers,

Grant

Thanks for that.

I think it's the 3070S.

I'll replace speakers first, Q Acoustics 3050i's, then the Cambridge CXA81, and then the 3070S.

Appreciate all your help.

Cheers,

Grant

I hate to be a pooper, but the CXA81 is overkill for the 3050s

I’d spend more on the speakers, even if that means a bit less on the amplifier.

I’d also consider this instead of the QA sub. They ship to New Zealand but you’d have to message them for a shipping quote.

Well worth it for either the XLS200 or PB12.

Thanks for that.

What about the Marantz PM6007 then?

And what speakers/sub would you suggest?

Cheers,

Grant

I’m not familiar with what is available in New Zealand alas. Or of any price differential.

However, I’d also consider standmounts too. You won’t need any extra bass that floorstanders are alleged to give when you have a proper sub, and pound for pound a standmount is a better quality speaker.

Also however, if your budget is flexible... then these are at a bargain price.

And this is a fine amp, although there’s not much of a discount here.

Appreciate that.

I think I'll give that sub a miss only because of the fact that if it turns to custard the logistics of returns, etc.

If you have any other sub suggestions I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Grant

Good point, make sure whatever you get has locally available tech and warranty support.

Seeing that REL has been mentioned there is a dealer in New Zealand.

I can attest to the reliability of REL products as my T5 is now in it's ninth year of use. Did have a relay fail that was a ten minute fix a year or so ago. Keep wanting it to go completely so I can get a bigger T7i past the wife.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom