1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Upgrade (issues with Monitor Audio brightness)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by smp, Nov 11, 2003.

1. smp

smp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for this long post but I am getting frustrated looking into an upgrade and would welcome some advice.

The guts of my current system are:
    Sony CDP-557ESD
    Sherwood Amp
    Tannoy 633 Profile L/R Speakers

I am looking to do a re-vamp of my system as my AV processor has died and will be replaced with a decicated AV Receiver, which I haven't tried yet. More importantly I also need to change to front speakers that are magnetically shielded which greatly limits choice (have no option but to have the right speaker adjacent to the TV now we've got a smaller living room).

I love the sound of my 633's which are quite warm and go deep at low volumes (terraced house :), I'm not a great fan of excess treble, but as they're not shielded they'll have to go in the loft for a while.

I loved the Quad 11L's but these aren't shielded, and get this, Quad replied to my query as to when they would offer it as "we are currently researching the market to see if there's any demand" (wake up and smell the coffee Quad). - Loved the 22L's even more but there was a firm "No" from the budget-controller!

I've home demo'd a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 2i's and although they sounded great in the shop, at home I wondered if they are a bit too bright for my taste - they sounded a little forward with say piano and drums over what I'm used to. That said they did 80% of the music I listen too exceptionally well, if perhaps with a little less bass than I'm used to also. If I got them I'd be looking at adding the Silver centre and maybe the S1 for rear (or B1 if they sound okay for rear-duties).

I've also tried Tannoy mX-3's (looking for a family feel with the 633's) but was under-whelmed by the sound and found the cabinet horribly cheap looking unlike the MA's whose cabinets were very well finished with a real wood finish.

On to my questions:

- Could the brightness of the MA's be due to my current CD player and Amp Combo?
    - As the Amp will be being replaced with the receiver perhaps I am being too hasty at discounting them?
    - If I were to partner up, which of Denon, Yamaha, Pioeneer, Sony et al should I look at given my preference for a warmer sound? (budget about £350 for receiver).
    - Am I missing the point by not demo'ing all of the proposed upgrade together?

Opinions sought with thanks!

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Smp
    Welcome to the forums.
    I used to own monitor audio silver s1 and silver centre for my front three.The monitor audios do need room round them to work there best or they can sound boomy,When positioned right they sound fantastic the s1 being the best sounding of the whole silver series imo. you would be better off regarding your budget going for the monitor audio bronze b2 package which can be brought from hifi bitz for 650 quid ,these are easier to position and sound very good also,you would then have a good full speaker package.Regarding amps if you can stretch to the Nad t752 which i used with the silver series and never sounded bright you would have a great system for both movies and music.
    Hope this helps Gonzo.:smashin:

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Q - Could the brightness of the MA's be due to my current CD player and Amp Combo?

Definately IMO. I heard several Sherwood stereo and AV amps and they are all too bright for my tastes. Sony players sound around neutral to my ears, so the amp is to blame unfortunately. Your Tannoy's are masking this brightness, which is why the sharper MA's sound so different to you.

Q - If I were to partner up, which of Denon, Yamaha, Pioeneer, Sony et al should I look at given my preference for a warmer sound? (budget about £350 for receiver).

If you want warm, avoid budget Sony and Pioneer amps.

Q - Am I missing the point by not demo'ing all of the proposed upgrade together?

Yes. Demo as a set. And at home, in your room if possible.

4. smp

smp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to try the MA Silver 2's again but this time I'm going to audition them with an AV Receiver. My local shop has a Harmon Kardon AV4500 on ex-dem that I'm keen to try as they get a good review for musical ability - anyone any experience of whether these are warm, hash, rubbish etc etc? Will also try a few others such as the Yamaha that's in the same price bracket.